Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2021, 03:49:44 PM
I don't get how everybody who did not support every overseas intervention is some kind of traitor. Hell Syt has posted memes from his family before attacking the government's wars.
Yeah, Trump kept attacking foreign interventions and he even decided to pull out of Afghanistan.

It was not like losing in Vietnam was some kind of existential crisis for the United States.
:hmm: You sure about that?  How many movies about the inexistan existential crisis for your country? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2021, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 05, 2021, 03:21:11 PM
I know that John Kerry was a war hero in Vietnam

This I do not know.

He was well-decorated (Silver Star, Bronze Star, three Purple hearts), but not unusually so.  He's as heroic as the average guy was, there, I suppose, but likely was bolder than the typical PBR/PCF commander.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Please report back what you think of the book after you have read it.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 05, 2021, 05:56:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2021, 04:55:12 PM

This I do not know.

Pick up a book

Good idea. I want to learn more about this so I just ordered this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfit_for_Command

When you are done with that, try to find a nonfiction book on the topic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2021, 06:00:34 PM

I will! It is written by Vietnam veterans so you know it will be good!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 05, 2021, 06:34:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2021, 06:00:34 PM

I will! It is written by Vietnam veterans so you know it will be good!

Actually, the main author never served a day in his life.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2021, 05:11:44 PM

This I do not know.

He was well-decorated (Silver Star, Bronze Star, three Purple hearts), but not unusually so.  He's as heroic as the average guy was, there, I suppose, but likely was bolder than the typical PBR/PCF commander.

How common would it be to get three Purple Hearts - not trying to suggest you are wrong, I just have no idea how frequently someone would sustain an injury combat.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2021, 03:35:44 PM
As I understand it the serious argument against Kerry wasn't the Swift Boat stuff, but his very vocal anti-war activism after his return.  Apparently there were attempts to court-martial him (he was still a reserve officer at the time) because of his actions then.

I'm sure there were such attempts but that pesky First Amendment thing always seems to get in the way whenever the authoritarian impulse raises it head.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2021, 06:52:05 PM
How common would it be to get three Purple Hearts - not trying to suggest you are wrong, I just have no idea how frequently someone would sustain an injury combat.

Two of the three were just bad luck (caused in part by the boldness i mentioned).  One was gained under moderately heroic conditions (he violated standing procedures and ran his boat aground because he thought it necessary to protect his crews' lives).  He also got the Silver Star for that one.

Three purple hearts in four months' service (the third one sent him home) is getting wounded at a much higher rate than one would expect, but doesn't necessarily indicate much higher than usual levels of heroism.  The Silver Star might, to some people.  I personally pretty much reserve the title of military hero to those getting the Navy Cross/Distinguished service Cross, or, obviously, The Medal itself.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2021, 05:11:44 PM

Pretty much anyone who went out on one of those boats is a hero in my book.
You don't have to be Audie Murphy to be a hero; I'm pretty sure Audie Murphy would say something like that if he were still alive.

As for Kerry, when Dole ran against Clinton, it was fair game for Republicans to talk about what Clinton did re Vietnam

But anyone who voted Trump needs to STFU about Vietnam, especially if they want to throw shade on someone who served in combat.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2021, 07:09:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2021, 06:52:05 PM

Two of the three were just bad luck (caused in part by the boldness i mentioned).  One was gained under moderately heroic conditions (he violated standing procedures and ran his boat aground because he thought it necessary to protect his crews' lives).  He also got the Silver Star for that one.

Three purple hearts in four months' service (the third one sent him home) is getting wounded at a much higher rate than one would expect, but doesn't necessarily indicate much higher than usual levels of heroism.  The Silver Star might, to some people.  I personally pretty much reserve the title of military hero to those getting the Navy Cross/Distinguished service Cross, or, obviously, The Medal itself.

Got it, thanks.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

And I would assume Earnhardt never won a Super Bowl, so I don't get the point of this one. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck