News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I really think people should re-consider their use of language on some of these identity issues.

I work in the trenches of poverty because of the job I do.  I have no doubt it is better to be poor and white than poor and indigenous.

But to tell a poor white person that they have "white privilege" has got to be extremely aggravating.  This person doesn't feel privileged in any way, and by any objective standard they are not.  It's the kind of thing that is going to turn people away from the message you're trying to send.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2021, 04:58:23 PM
I really think people should re-consider their use of language on some of these identity issues.

I work in the trenches of poverty because of the job I do.  I have no doubt it is better to be poor and white than poor and indigenous.

But to tell a poor white person that they have "white privilege" has got to be extremely aggravating.  This person doesn't feel privileged in any way, and by any objective standard they are not.  It's the kind of thing that is going to turn people away from the message you're trying to send.
:yes: Trevor Noah once said that in South Africa they call it "black tax", not "white privilege", precisely because telling a poor white person that they have "white privilege" is cruel, lacking in empathy, and is not productive in getting them to see your point.

Malthus

I think a fundamental aspect of the problem is often who is doing the telling.

Often it is coming from people the poor, rural and white consider "privileged" in relation to themselves, and so comes across badly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on February 03, 2021, 05:30:54 PM

:yes: Trevor Noah once said that in South Africa they call it "black tax", not "white privilege", precisely because telling a poor white person that they have "white privilege" is cruel, lacking in empathy, and is not productive in getting them to see your point.

That's also a more accurate description of what is meant. Being treated like a human being is a right, not a privilege.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on February 03, 2021, 05:31:42 PM

I think a fundamental aspect of the problem is often who is doing the telling.

Often it is coming from people the poor, rural and white consider "privileged" in relation to themselves, and so comes across badly.

I very much doubt they would be any less sore if it were a poor black person telling them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Well that is where intersectionality comes in...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2021, 05:46:53 PM

Sure.  And I've long said intersectionality does have some important lessons to teach us.

It's only when we only use intersectionality (as university campuses and the online left are wont to do) and we reduce people down only to the various groups and identities they belong to we come back to telling disadvantaged whites that they have "white privilege".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2021, 05:51:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2021, 05:46:53 PM

Sure.  And I've long said intersectionality does have some important lessons to teach us.

It's only when we only use intersectionality (as university campuses and the online left are wont to do) and we reduce people down only to the various groups and identities they belong to we come back to telling disadvantaged whites that they have "white privilege".

But I think that's also missing the point of white privilege as a term. After all it isn't something to beat poor whites with or something to convince them they are living the good life. It is a critical examination of advantages thst white people receive and create in our societies even while they might just perceive that as standard living.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2021, 04:52:09 PM
I replaced and bolded the part of my quote that is most relevant to what you just said.  If white folks think they have a lived experience that causes them to think they have it tough, they should probably reflect on how much more difficult it would have been for them in the same circumstances, with dark skin.

Why would you want to make white folks who dont understand the principle of white privilege feel better?

Because it makes it sound like you are going to take something away from them. They have privileges that should be removed. When that is not the point at all. The term used is misleading. I don't think anybody is saying "wow that white guy in prison for a non-violent charge should have it rougher! That privileged motherfucker!!11" when actually addressing White Privilege would probably help those people, not hurt them.

And when you want to create change to make a more just society what branding you adopt is important. And when your branding fails you shouldn't turn to the public and berate them for being too stupid to understand your branding :P

But this is just more about the term itself, not this meme which is mostly about having to pay taxes...which last I checked don't change depending on what color your skin is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

A white person misunderstanding what white privilege means is all the more reason to continue to use the phrase.  Maybe one day they will understand what it means.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2021, 06:11:51 PM
I replaced and bolded the part of my quote that is most relevant to what you just said.  If white folks think they have a lived experience that causes them to think they have it tough, they should probably reflect on how much more difficult it would have been for them in the same circumstances, with dark skin.

Why would you want to make white folks who dont understand the principle of white privilege feel better?

Because it makes it sound like you are going to take something away from them. They have privileges that should be removed. When that is not the point at all. The term used is misleading. I don't think anybody is saying "wow that white guy in prison for a non-violent charge should have it rougher! That privileged motherfucker!!11" when actually addressing White Privilege would probably help those people, not hurt them.

And when you want to create change to make a more just society what branding you adopt is important. And when your branding fails you shouldn't turn to the public and berate them for being too stupid to understand your branding :P

But this is just more about the term itself, not this meme which is mostly about having to pay taxes...which last I checked don't change depending on what color your skin is.

Same answer I gave to BB, a white person misunderstanding what white privilege means is all the more reason to continue to use the phrase.  Maybe one day they will understand what it means.

I also reject your notion that this is a mere branding exercise that needs to be accepted by whites who are really part of the problem.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on February 03, 2021, 05:30:54 PM

I am consistenly astouded by the left ability to take a common sense idea, and label it in a way that just hands the right the very tool to dismiss the idea.

White privilege.

Defund the Police.

I mean....what the actual fuck?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2021, 08:03:30 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2021, 06:11:51 PM

Same answer I gave to BB, a white person misunderstanding what white privilege means is all the more reason to continue to use the phrase.  Maybe one day they will understand what it means.

I also reject your notion that this is a mere branding exercise that needs to be accepted by whites who are really part of the problem.

It's a public debate where we are trying to convince people to change their mindsets about public policy.

Feeling superior is super awesome for you, but is actually counter productive in nearly every way.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Don't mind him, he just has tall privilege
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Also rich privilege, which is the most valuable one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?