And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

But Democratical sounds too sinister.  :(

Tamas

I am telling you, in those circles you can't have a post with correct grammar, they'd cast you out.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 22, 2020, 11:20:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 22, 2020, 11:10:54 AM
those circles

How conveniently ambiguous.

We are talking social media.  Everything on social media is ambiguous to at least one person.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

It is so weird that smoking was ever considered cool. What's weirder is that judging by that logo some still consider it cool.

Tonitrus

I have no idea if Clint said what is plastered there...but I have seen the interview with Morgan Freeman, and he did say almost all of that. 

Of course, as with anyone, celebrity or not, that's just like...his opinion, man.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 23, 2020, 10:32:54 AM
I have no idea if Clint said what is plastered there...but I have seen the interview with Morgan Freeman, and he did say almost all of that. 

Of course, as with anyone, celebrity or not, that's just like...his opinion, man.

The operative part is: « I'll ask you to stop calling me a black man ».
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

Quote"It's not the police who need to be retrained, it's the public. We have grown into a mouthy, mobile phone wielding, vulgar, uncivil society with no personal responsibility and the attitude of 'it's the other person's fault, you owe me'. A society where children grow up with no boundaries or knowledge or concern for civil society and personal responsibility.

When an officer says "Put your hands up," then put your hands up! Don't reach for something in your pocket, your lap, your seat. There's plenty of reason for a police officer to feel threatened, there have been multiple assaults and ambushes on police officers lately. Comply with requests from the officer, have your day in court. Don't mouth off, or fight, or refuse to comply... that escalates the situation.

Police officers are our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters. They're black, white, brown, all colors, all ethnicities, all faiths, male and female, they are us. They see the worst side of humanity... the raped children, the bloody mangled bodies of traffic victims, the bruised and battered victims of domestic violence, homicide victims, body parts... day after day.

They work holidays while we have festive meals with our families. They miss school events with their kids, birthdays, anniversaries, all those special occasions that we take for granted. They work in all types of weather, under dangerous conditions, for relatively low pay.

They have extensive training, but they are human. When there are numerous attacks on them, they become hyper vigilant for a reason, they have become targets. When a police officer encounters any person... any person, whether at a traffic stop, a street confrontation, an arrest, whatever... that situation has the potential to become life threatening. You, Mr & Mrs/Miss Civilian, also have the responsibility of keeping the situation from getting out of control.

Many law enforcement officers are Veterans. They've been in service to this nation most of their lives, whether on the battlefield or protecting us here at home. They are the only thing that stands between us and anarchy in the streets.

If you want to protect your child, teach them respect."
~ Sheriff David Clarke

Regarding the fear of officers of being shot:

Cops killed by guns:
48 in 2019 (https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2019)

People killed by cops:
999 in 2019 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/police-shootings-2019/)

People killed by guns (excl. suicides which make up ca. 60% of gun related deaths https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/aug/21/jason-miyares/62-us-gun-deaths-are-suicides/):
15,292 in 2019 (https://www.thetrace.org/2020/01/gun-deaths-2019-increase/)

Re: David Clarke, he ... has an interesting track record in Milwaukee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Clarke_(sheriff)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

798 children went missing in just one day?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2020, 09:26:20 AM
798 children went missing in just one day?

796 showed up within an hour of being reported missing? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Hundreds of thousands of children "go missing" in the USA every year. Fortunately, the vast majority of those are returned very quickly.

How many of those COVID deaths are getting back up?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on August 26, 2020, 09:44:27 AM
Hundreds of thousands of children "go missing" in the USA every year. Fortunately, the vast majority of those are returned very quickly.

How many of those COVID deaths are getting back up?

When was the last day the US had 161 Covid deaths? This was originally posted on August 19th, though some commenters say that the Covid death numbers are hugely inflated, anyways.
—Stephen Jay Gould