Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

A flag does not represent the leader of a country.  I proudly fly the Canadian flag despite having a number of disagreements with our leader.  Similarly the stars and stripes is not a Trumpist symbol - it's an American symbol.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2020, 02:27:08 PM
A flag does not represent the leader of a country.  I proudly fly the Canadian flag despite having a number of disagreements with our leader.  Similarly the stars and stripes is not a Trumpist symbol - it's an American symbol.

Check out what people wear at his rallies.

The only time I see the American flag in Canada are in places where there are large number of American tourists and American ex pats.

You still haven't explained your motivation.  The Americans have not exactly been our friends these past 3.5 years.

PDH

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 02:48:56 PM
The Americans have not exactly been our friends these past 3.5 years.

Perhaps if you said "the American Government" you would be on firmer ground.  This is a bit too dogmatic when you include all Americans...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on June 29, 2020, 02:55:51 PM
The Americans have not exactly been our friends these past 3.5 years.

Perhaps if you said "the American Government" you would be on firmer ground.  This is a bit too dogmatic when you include all Americans...

The flag does not represent pockets of the American public.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:11:48 PM
So it represents what exactly?

The country of the United States of America?

PDH

The flag is a symbol, symbols are not fixed in meaning.  They underline basic values shared by a group in total. Within that group there can be a wide variance of meanings ascribed to a symbol.

A symbol expressed outside the group needs to be understood within this shifting context, it represents what your varying pockets of people feel it represents.  So while, yes, the US Flag does represent Americans, the deeper meaning must be more nuanced or else you run the risk of dogmatically defining a more narrow set of beliefs onto a large group of people.

Saying "American" in the above context includes people who share a symbol but the not meaning with others.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Sure, but it is the flag of your country.  Which raises the question why someone who is not a citizen of your country and is not living in your country feels the urge to put it on their flag pole.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 03:36:05 PM
Sure, but it is the flag of your country.  Which raises the question why someone who is not a citizen of your country and is not living in your country feels the urge to put it on their flag pole.

If you own a flag pole you get the urge to fly all sorts of flags on it...speaking as somebody who once owned a flagpole.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 03:12:59 PM

Well that is a pretty big and complicated topic is it not? Surely there is at least one thing we have done or are about that Canadians can find admirable.

Barrister

The only time I see the American flag in Canada are in places where there are large number of American tourists and American ex pats.

You still haven't explained your motivation.  The Americans have not exactly been our friends these past 3.5 years.

You frankly don't see a whole ton of Canadian flags in Canada either - not at private residences at least.

I disagree that Americans haven't been, and aren't, our friends.  They have been.  Don't conflate the people with the President.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:42:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 03:36:05 PM

If you own a flag pole you get the urge to fly all sorts of flags on it...speaking as somebody who once owned a flagpole.

I flew a Venetian flag on St. Mark's Day  :blush:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:43:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 03:12:59 PM

Well that is a pretty big and complicated topic is it not? Surely there is at least one thing we have done or are about that Canadians can find admirable.

Depends on what you mean by we.  The nation known the United States of America has done a lot of damage over the last 3.5 years.  Not sure there is anything in that period of time that a citizen of another country should feel compelled to honour.  Mourn perhaps.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2020, 03:46:00 PM

You frankly don't see a whole ton of Canadian flags in Canada either - not at private residences at least.

I disagree that Americans haven't been, and aren't, our friends.  They have been.  Don't conflate the people with the President.

Ok, well that explains it.  You are marching to a different drummer.  But you are going to get a lot of odd looks.

Razgovory

CC, you really do need to chill out.  BB isn't your enemy.  Dguller isn't your enemy.  I'm not your enemy.  Nobody here is your enemy.  Times are tense, everyone is a bit on edge, and nobody is happy about situation in the US.  Getting angry at us isn't going to help things.  All we can do at this point is sit tight and try not to get sick.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017