Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on June 26, 2020, 07:30:38 PM
But they surrendered.. :huh:
Only after the flag was displayed.  It doesn't count.
:P
Now seriously, what do the color represent on this battle flage?  The stars are the States the Confederacy claims to have admitted, and since they lied about that, I don't trust them with the rest :)
EDIT: I know this actual battle flag was derived from the national flag where they cut the white because it was mistaken with a surrender flag, but I'm curious of the rest of the colors, if they have any significance.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2020, 08:57:01 PM
2 of those states, Missouri and Kentucky, were on the other side.

Flag seems shitty.
they had shadow government in the Confederacy and they were claimed by them.  Hence the number of stars.

But the flag design, I like.  If it wasn't so associated with slavery and white supremacy, I might have one here.  I really like the colors and design.  Maybe I watched too much of Dukes of Hazzard as a kid*

*Ah, the original english version, as an adult, gave me some understanding trouble... why do they always had to speak like some country song?? :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2020, 11:19:47 PM
But the flag design, I like.  If it wasn't so associated with slavery and white supremacy, I might have one here.  I really like the colors and design.

It's a cool looking flag.

Then again the Third Reich's flag looks cool too.  Speaking as a guy who has a 16' flag pole in his front yard, doesn't mean I'm ever going to fly either flag.

I kind of want to get a US flag to put up on certain occasions (4th of July for example), but these days that might be seen as rather provocative. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 27, 2020, 11:19:20 AM
I kind of want to get a US flag to put up on certain occasions (4th of July for example), but these days that might be seen as rather provocative. :(

Good thinking.

crazy canuck

But the flag design, I like.  If it wasn't so associated with slavery and white supremacy, I might have one here.  I really like the colors and design.

Then again the Third Reich's flag looks cool too.  Speaking as a guy who has a 16' flag pole in his front yard, doesn't mean I'm ever going to fly either flag.

Why would you want to display an American flag?

Razgovory

Same reason we Americans sometimes root for Canadians in the Olympics:  We're friends.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Lots of American backpackers in Europe have a Canadian flag sewn to their backpacks.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

I have a Flag Pole, I fly the Jolly Roger.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

As I am in Santa Cruz, I fly a 420 Flag.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2020, 11:54:25 AM

Why would you want to display an American flag?

Maybe he wants to be neighborly?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Fly the US flag but upside down.
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

But the flag design, I like.  If it wasn't so associated with slavery and white supremacy, I might have one here.  I really like the colors and design.  Maybe I watched too much of Dukes of Hazzard as a kid*

If you think about the flag, it's very much an Americanized version of the old Scottish and the old Spanish flags.  You start with a St. Andrew's Cross, or saltire:

(current flag of Alabama and damn near the current flag of Florida too)

...and then you add the standard American colors (red, white, and blue), along with stars representing the states, and you end up with the Confederate Battle Flag.

Syt

QuoteCrystal Elaine Prebola
· Shared with Public

Slavery used to be a normal throughout the world. America was the ONLY country that ended it! Black people owned slaves too. White people were slaves too. How many of these morons from black lives matter know that?!

QuoteSharon E Godfrey
· Shared with Public

For our grandparents, parents, and their families..
This week in England, all mention of the Holocaust was removed from school curriculum.
It was claimed that remembering the Holocaust is offensive to the Muslim population which denies its existence...
The Second World War in Europe ended over 70 years ago.
This post aims to create a chain of memory.....
TO THE MEMORY OF..
6 million Jews,,
20 million Russians,
10 million Christians,
1,900 Catholic priests
Who were murdered, Raped, Burned, Starved to death, and humiliated...
NOW more than ever..
While Iran and others claim the Holocaust never happened....
IT IS ESSENTIAL that we do EVERYTHING so the WORLD DOES NOT FORGET..
This Post must reach at least FORTY MILLION People all over the world.
Join us and take part in the CHAIN OF MEMORY.
Help us spread it throughout the world.
~RR.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

The only country that ended it... *sigh*
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: ulmont on June 27, 2020, 09:36:53 PM

If you think about the flag, it's very much an Americanized version of the old Scottish and the old Spanish flags.  You start with a St. Andrew's Cross, or saltire:

(current flag of Alabama and damn near the current flag of Florida too)

...and then you add the standard American colors (red, white, and blue), along with stars representing the states, and you end up with the Confederate Battle Flag.

I never realized that.  Duh.  Well, thanks for the info :)  The Scottish flag is also a very beautiful flag.