News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2020, 01:36:40 PM
You're making the wrong assumption. They think that if police bother you you must have broken the law, or at least something to draw attention. They don't consider that just being black can be enough to draw attention.

To be fair, both Floyd and Atlanta guy were breaking the law and under the influence. They were both being a nuisance.

That's not to say that they should have been executed.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2020, 01:44:59 PM
Well if anybody should have a statue of Bill it would be Kosovo.

Yep.  Not sure why BB found that funny.

Valmy

Quote from: Threviel on June 15, 2020, 01:46:29 PM
You're making the wrong assumption. They think that if police bother you you must have broken the law, or at least something to draw attention. They don't consider that just being black can be enough to draw attention.

To be fair, both Floyd and Atlanta guy were breaking the law and under the influence. They were both being a nuisance.

Were they? That is (was?) up to the courts to decide. Innocent until proven guilty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2020, 01:48:27 PM

Were they? That is (was?) up to the courts to decide. Innocent until proven guilty.

In many countries cops intervene when they see someone that appears to be breaking the law. They don't intervene randomly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2020, 01:46:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2020, 01:44:59 PM
Well if anybody should have a statue of Bill it would be Kosovo.

Yep.  Not sure why BB found that funny.

Because when I tried to think of where there might be a Bill Clinton statue, I would never have thought of Kosovo.

Yes, makes sense when you think about it.  It just seemed so random though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2020, 01:50:16 PM
In many countries cops intervene when they see someone that appears to be breaking the law. They don't intervene randomly.

Right. When they suspect somebody is breaking the law. But suspecting is not convicting. I believe in civil rights of citizens.

Edit: Which is why the image there was just wrong. Maybe if Floyd had had his day in court he would have demonstrated he had broken no laws. Plenty of people are found innocent who the police suspected were breaking a law. But we will never know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2020, 01:52:09 PM

Right. When they suspect somebody is breaking the law. But suspecting is not convicting. I believe in civil rights of citizens.

So there is in fact a connection between breaking the law and cop intervention even in America?

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2020, 01:57:31 PM

So there is in fact a connection between breaking the law and cop intervention even in America?

Not necessarily, and that is sorta the point  ;)

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2020, 02:29:22 PM

Sorta? Let's not get too informal on Languish.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2020, 02:52:17 PM

Sorry, let me restate in Languish terms.  Why are you being so hopelessly obtuse about such an obvious point.

Better?

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2020, 02:55:51 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2020, 02:52:17 PM

Sorry, let me restate in Languish terms.  Why are you being so hopelessly obtuse about such an obvious point.

Better?

Yes, that's better. Thanks.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2020, 01:48:27 PM

If I were to get outrageously drunk and fall asleep in my car having driven to a hamburger joint then someone would call Swedish police and they would arrest me. If I would attempt to fight them and become a threat they might shoot me. Not too long ago Swedish police killed a young boy with downs syndrome because they deemed him a threat. Horrible shit sometimes happens.

If I were to get high and hang around on a city street and someone called the police they might not even show. And if they show up I might get thrown into a cell for the night, for such minor infractions the police can decide for themselves without bothering the court. I would most assuredly not get tortured to death by slow strangulation.

Valmy

They really get on all the stuff being banned. I can't think of anything that has been banned. What is the one group of people who economic hardship is being blamed on?

Threviel

But of course, if I were to violently resist arrest anything can happen. I call that suicide attempt by cop, although I suspect that the suicide success rate differs between countries.

And again, torture to death when subdued seems to be something that happens in developing countries and the US.