Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 11, 2020, 07:15:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2020, 02:06:37 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 11, 2020, 02:00:42 PM
I'm noticing an odd number of shitty memes around about how some black people had slaves too.
Like....
Yeah?
And?

Is it just me or is the fasc's obsession with whataboutism getting worse and worse?

I mean yeah those slaves were almost entirely captured and sold by Africans. But so what? If we were Nigerians or whatever that would be an issue we would have to deal with, but we aren't so that is their issue. Why bring it up?
Some Black Southerners held slaves because it was easier to have a "slave" than a freedperson when they wanted to liberate their family and work on a plantation themselves.
This is where this story comes from.  Not to say that some blacks could not have owned slaves the same way the whites where, but that was the majority situation.

Wait... what?

The majority of black slaveowners probably held and used slave just like white slaveowners.  There certainly were cases of black slaveowners who held a few slaves (often family members) whom they couldn't legally manumit except in their wills, but they were unusual enough to be notable.  Most slaves were not related to their owners and were used as labor, just as they would under a white owner. This was especially common in Louisiana.

It is just possible,  though, (records are not good enough to say for sure) that the majority of slaveowners had a personal interest in their slaves, but that the majority of the slaves of black slaveowners had no personal interest in their owner.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

One whataboutism I haven't seen is that it's almost certain that all of us had slave ancestors, considering what a time honored tradition it was throughout most of history. Then again that's not a thought these people would be comfortable with, I guess.

Eddie Teach

I'm not sure why they shouldn't.

Heck, the very word "slave" comes from the name of their tribe.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2020, 11:57:19 PM
One whataboutism I haven't seen is that it's almost certain that all of us had slave ancestors, considering what a time honored tradition it was throughout most of history. Then again that's not a thought these people would be comfortable with, I guess.

I mean it is almost certain that all of us had slave owning ancestors as well.

And unless it affects your life somehow it is only a historical curiosity. Which is what hopefully American slave owning in the 19th century will be someday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Reposted by my sis.

QuoteSam Wood

· Shared with Public
You take a knee and even though it's your right I don't agree with the action I am racist.

You riot and loot and because I am against it I am a racist.

I say all lives matter and I am a racist.

You destroy monuments that have no meaning to you but to me they are sacred and you still think I am racist. 

Well the hell with you and your MOVEMENTS. You don't know shit about me or my fellow veterans.

ALL LIVES MATTER AND OUR FREEDOM IS SACRED.  You play your bullshit games and twist shit to meet a bullshit agenda. You talk about sacrifice but have no clue what real sacrifice is. Men and women of the armed forces have been called on to defend a foreign land is that racist? Men and women of the armed forces have been called upon to defend other religions besides their own is that racist? Men and women of the armed forces have been called upon to defend people of another color is that racist? Called upon to defend freedom is that racist? 

We been given shitty medical care, we been called names, yet we are the ones that protect and give you freedom, we give you safety and protect those that need protecting no matter what color, religion or nationality.

What do we get in return? Our monuments to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice destroyed. The places we gather to try and make sense of all this bullshit destroyed because of what? A bad man killed another man. Oh what that's not an agenda. A BAD cop killed a man. Oh shit I am sorry let's justify these pictures A BAD WHITE COP KILLED A BLACK MAN. There that justifies desiccating and destroying these monuments. BULLSHIT that doesn't fly with me but hey I am a racist remember.  The color of my skin made sure I never had a hardship in my GREAT WHITE PRIVILEGED LIFE.
Veterans get to watch some asshole that makes millions of dollars take a knee for some injustice he never experienced. We get to be told it's not disrespectful to us it's towards the meaning of bullshit political movement that THEY MAKE UP and OUR meaning and feelings are not taken seriously. 

We get to watch some Asshole burn, shit on or step on the flag for some bullshit political protest and if we say we don't agree with the flag that has given us a sense of brotherhood and has been draped over the coffins of our dead being desiccated we are told it's not against us but some bullshit political made up meaning.

We get told by politicians that the freedom we swore to defend is not their definition of freedom. We are labeled as over the top, ptsd ridden or just disturbed.

YOU ALL NEED TO STRAIGHTEN YOUR SHIT UP BECAUSE IF YOU PUSH HARD ENOUGH VETERANS MAY HAVE A MOVEMENT AND TRUST ME THE SHIT WILL GET REAL. 

Don't think we are not watching and don't think we will sit on the sidelines forever.  We all made a decision, swore an oath and wrote the check and trust me we know the meaning and it is NOT SOME BULLSHIT POLITICAL AGENDA THAT IS MADE TO DIVIDE.  We know what UNITY is. We know what sacrifice is and it has NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE, COLOR, NATIONALITY or POLITICS it has to do with BROTHERHOOD.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I think it's unlikely that some barely coherent nincompoops have the ability to turn excrement into reality.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Isn't the whole basis of their bullshit make America great AGAIN?
██████
██████
██████

PDH

The past is nothing.
Culture is only about today not antecedents.
I got mine.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Obviously it's not true in an "owned" sense. Do they mean pwned? Even then I feel it's unlikely to be true.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Where are the statues that being destroyed that are dedicated to living soldiers?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

I know for a fact that at least one of mine did. :( I found the census that shows one of my mom's line to have owned at least two slaves in Georgia in the mid-1800s.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 12, 2020, 12:39:51 PM

I know for a fact that at least one of mine did. :( I found the census that shows one of my mom's line to have owned at least two slaves in Georgia in the mid-1800s.

If you go back to the 18th century you will probably find many more owned slaves. It was more of a middle class thing back then.

But Tamas was saying we had slave ancestors. Which we do. But so what?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2020, 12:55:11 PM

But Tamas was saying we had slave ancestors. Which we do. But so what?

I think the "so what" was part of his point...implied in his questioning why that "whataboutism" hasn't been used a lot recently.  I think it has been in the past, but usually rolled into the whataboutism that usually reads as "what about compensation for the enslavement of my ancestors in ancient Rome?".  Or the other "mild" forms of slavery that dodged the label (i.e. indentured servitude/serfdom).