And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2020, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2020, 01:18:39 PM
If you die because you can't get resources due to the Coronavirus, you have died because of the Coronavirus.
Yes and no.  Let's say you take a group of 1000 people with a certain kind of cancer, and randomly assign them to two oncologists.  The first oncologist has 5% of his patients die.  The second oncologist, unlike the first oncologist, gets overwhelmed with having to treat 500 patients on once, makes poor time management decisions, and has 10% of his patients die.  All 75 of the people who died died of cancer, and yet not all of these deaths were unavoidable.

Because there was a third doctor in the wings? Because you could have given the best doctor more patients?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2020, 01:28:05 PM
If you die because you can't get resources due to the Coronavirus, you have died because of the Coronavirus.
Yes and no.  Let's say you take a group of 1000 people with a certain kind of cancer, and randomly assign them to two oncologists.  The first oncologist has 5% of his patients die.  The second oncologist, unlike the first oncologist, gets overwhelmed with having to treat 500 patients on once, makes poor time management decisions, and has 10% of his patients die.  All 75 of the people who died died of cancer, and yet not all of these deaths were unavoidable.

Because there was a third doctor in the wings? Because you could have given the best doctor more patients?
You could've given both doctors training on how to handle a glut of patients, ahead of time, and not rely on either doctor figuring it out successfully on the fly.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2020, 01:30:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2020, 01:28:05 PM

You could've given both doctors training on how to handle a glut of patients, ahead of time, and not rely on either doctor figuring it out successfully on the fly.

Coulda woulda shoulda. Don't live your life through the rear-view mirror.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2020, 01:10:50 PM
It also seems like the fatality rate of people being put on ventilators is 80% in NY, and only 50% elsewhere. 

Not true.  50% of the patents normally put on ventilators die, but the figure of over 50% for corona virus exists elsewhere. Much as I would like to believe your theory that somehow NYC doctors are fundamentally different than doctors elsewhere, I don't think that there is actual evidence of that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2020, 03:10:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2020, 01:10:50 PM
It also seems like the fatality rate of people being put on ventilators is 80% in NY, and only 50% elsewhere. 

Not true.  50% of the patents normally put on ventilators die, but the figure of over 50% for corona virus exists elsewhere. Much as I would like to believe your theory that somehow NYC doctors are fundamentally different than doctors elsewhere, I don't think that there is actual evidence of that.
Point taken, you are indeed correct that ventilators are less effective for COVID-19 patients across the board, and 80% may not even necessarily be completely out of line.  In any case, I really do hope that the catastrophically high death rate per positive case in NY and especially NYC is solely due to severe under-testing, and not due the level of care for whatever ultimate reason.

The Minsky Moment

According to this article in the Lancet, from March, a study of patients admitted to a Wuhan hospital showed a 86% mortality rate among patients put on mechanical invasive ventilation

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30110-7/fulltext

The UK ICNARC reported a 66% mortality rate

I'm not sure where the 50% comes from

Obviously the rate can vary for a lot of reasons.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

I suddenly think more of one of my cousins

██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Eddie Teach

Most bearded rednecks aren't preppers you know.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 22, 2020, 05:06:12 AM
Most bearded rednecks aren't preppers you know.

Many bearded rednecks who open carry ARs on state capitol steps have at least a little prepper in them.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Oh God, you're right!  I find myself in a realm between life and death!  These little red assholes are poking my ass with pitchforks but they are wearing face masks and they take breaks to watch Dr. Oz.  This is truly the worst of both worlds!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Well at least they admit the Republicans are bad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."