Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I do think that the pandemic is a massive rebuke to our current arrangements; there may be a massive leftward swing in future years.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2020, 03:42:50 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2020, 04:13:36 PM
A lot of the stuff on my sisters' timelines at the moment is about the plight of the truckers in these days, and that hotels, restaurants etc. should offer them free stuff for the services they provide. :unsure:

I'm not sure about the free stuff but we need to think of our truckers as key workers and do what we can to keep them healthy and on the road. Food supplies could be at risk if too many truckers are ill.

I'm agreeing with your sisters; only been in lockdown a few days, am I losing it already  :hmm: ?

I think Syt's point there is that his sister is usually rabidly against any kind of "handout"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2020, 03:55:31 AM
I do think that the pandemic is a massive rebuke to our current arrangements; there may be a massive leftward swing in future years.

Let's hope.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 25, 2020, 03:57:51 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2020, 03:42:50 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2020, 04:13:36 PM
A lot of the stuff on my sisters' timelines at the moment is about the plight of the truckers in these days, and that hotels, restaurants etc. should offer them free stuff for the services they provide. :unsure:

I'm not sure about the free stuff but we need to think of our truckers as key workers and do what we can to keep them healthy and on the road. Food supplies could be at risk if too many truckers are ill.

I'm agreeing with your sisters; only been in lockdown a few days, am I losing it already  :hmm: ?

I think Syt's point there is that his sister is usually rabidly against any kind of "handout"

Except for the military, who deserves every single handout imaginable.  :P

Over here truckers are amongst the groups that are getting recognition/thanks, you see many pieces about roadside bars/restaurants that cater to them for free these days. And it's quite correct that they get this recognition, if logistics failed the lives of those quarantined in the cities would be nightmare territory.

Syt

I hope this crisis will lead to a reevaluation of what jobs are and aren't critical for society, and what goods and services are really necessary.

Probably won't happen once people can go to the pub again and sports are back on TV, but it's a nice thought.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2020, 03:55:31 AM

Hopefully not the no-border twitter leftist idiots then.

Duque de Bragança

mongers

Quote from: Syt on March 25, 2020, 06:41:39 AM
I hope this crisis will lead to a reevaluation of what jobs are and aren't critical for society, and what goods and services are really necessary.

Probably won't happen once people can go to the pub again and sports are back on TV, but it's a nice thought.

Yes and unfortunately yes also.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Germans really shouldn't be sharing tweets from Alt-Right assholes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

It's Breitbart--you can assume it's fake.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

It's unfortunately worse than that. It's got a kernel of truth in it, twisted in service of a hateful ideology. Shelter-in-home orders have been difficult to enforce, and in some banlieues, it's taken the guise of the usual resistance to police controls.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Sometimes you need to be skeptical about your skepticism.