Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

It always reminds me of actor Craig T. Nelson's quote on entitled layabouts:

QuoteI've been on food stamps and welfare. Anybody help me out? No. No. They gave me hope, and they gave me encouragement, and they gave me a vision. That came from my education.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2019, 12:24:49 PM
It always reminds me of actor Craig T. Nelson's quote on entitled layabouts:

QuoteI've been on food stamps and welfare. Anybody help me out? No. No. They gave me hope, and they gave me encouragement, and they gave me a vision. That came from my education.
Everyone is big on snearing at welfare queens until they lose their jobs or lose a limb or something.
PDH!

Valmy

What came from his education? The foodstamps?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2019, 01:02:54 PM
What came from his education? The foodstamps?

Yeah, either that quote was mangled or Nelson was talking gibberish, or maybe there's a lot of missing content.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

it's funny, in a way.  Well, the image itself is funny.  But thinking that Hillary Clinton is so powerful that she could compell prison guards from a federal prison to assassinate Epstein, while the guy is rumored to have damaging information on the actual President, Donald Trump... that is funny in how paranoid some Republicans are.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2019, 01:34:39 PM
Context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

Well, that clarified one thing for me:  I thought Craig T. Nelson was the guy from Mystery Science Theater.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2019, 01:35:24 PM
it's funny, in a way.  Well, the image itself is funny.  But thinking that Hillary Clinton is so powerful that she could compell prison guards from a federal prison to assassinate Epstein, while the guy is rumored to have damaging information on the actual President, Donald Trump... that is funny in how paranoid some Republicans are.
Not paranoid.  Reality is determined by idealogical purity and Party values. 
PDH!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

No, we don't support any of those things.

Poor Sam Elliot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

These memes who put a recognizable person behind words that person never spoke just befuddles me.

I googled Sam Elliott's politics - turns out he describes himself as a centrist, said it was "mind-boggling" that Trump was elected, and that both parties need to work together.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2019, 02:25:46 PM
These memes who put a recognizable person behind words that person never spoke just befuddles me.

I know. It makes no sense. Yet Syt's family does it all the time.

Oexmelin

I googled Sam Elliott's politics - turns out he describes himself as a centrist, said it was "mind-boggling" that Trump was elected, and that both parties need to work together.

It's about what the image conveys, not what the person thinks - right-wing memes want to convey the image of strength, toughness, virility, authority, and usually whiteness (one notable exception is the Matrix meme with Lawrence Fishburne). Actors, or the movies they play in, already have built-in meaning the way that non-descriptive Getty Images smiling executives do not.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 29, 2019, 02:41:58 PM

It's about what the image conveys, not what the person thinks - right-wing memes want to convey the image of strength, toughness, virility, authority, and usually whiteness (one notable exception is the Matrix meme with Lawrence Fishburne). Actors, or the movies they play in, already have built-in meaning the way that non-descriptive Getty Images smiling executives do not.

Oh I get that.  Sam Elliott invariably plays cowboys or other tough guys, and has that amazingly deep voice.

But come on - he's an actor living in California.  I was actually astonished to find he wasn't a vocal democrat.  There was zero chance he was a Trump supporter even before I googled his politics.

And it would be another thing if it was riffing on a movie scene or characters ala Matrix memes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.