Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2019, 01:04:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2019, 12:58:25 PM
:lol:

Book smart people that have no street smart sense. Sure. Lovely.

Nonsense. Civil Engineers have plenty of street smart sense.
unfortunately, not all of them, by far :P

I find that quite often, it results in a lack of a clear analysis by the engineer of the client's specific needs and the difficulty of the non technical client to correctly explain to his engineer.

Also, that some engineer will never visit the client's site themselves and refer to a technician's report that costs less to move around the province...

Engineers have to do with provincial/federal norms that sometimes are in conflict with a client's desires, and they often fail to communicate this properly to someone who does not ask the proper questions.  See, they just told me to use a product that would 20 000$ to repair a damage structure.  Turns out, with a little searching on my side, I could repair it for less than 500$.  With a product that was totally appropriate, and accepted by the engineer once I recommended it.  It's a product we used in the past, when these structures were mostly of a rectangular design instead of a circular one, to fill expansion joints in concrete.  It's hardly an unknown product...  But once I saw what was the problem, I knew what could be used... The engineer never bothered to check for that.  And during conception, it's often the same...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Yeah it really sucks how I can never get funding to actually travel to a location. I always do it myself if it is within a decent range. "Hey kids do you want to go scout out a potential transmission line route?"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Iormlund on October 12, 2019, 04:20:37 AM

Meh. Nobody likes lawyers.

Correction: nobody likes lawyers ... until they need one.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 15, 2019, 03:49:53 PM
Nobody likes their lawyer either.  :huh:

Often their lawyer is all that stands between them and some sort of horrible abyss of trouble. Cause that to go away, and the lawyer has literally saved them; they are a goddamn hero (until the bill, etc.  ;) ).

The pop culture 'everyone hates lawyers LOL' is good for a laugh. Mistaking it for reality is dumb. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2019, 04:40:34 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 15, 2019, 03:49:53 PM
Nobody likes their lawyer either.  :huh:

Often their lawyer is all that stands between them and some sort of horrible abyss of trouble. Cause that to go away, and the lawyer has literally saved them; they are a goddamn hero (until the bill, etc.  ;) ).

The pop culture 'everyone hates lawyers LOL' is good for a laugh. Mistaking it for reality is dumb.

I am guessing Eddie has no personal experience with that sort of thing and so can only base his judgments on pop culture.

PDH

I don't hate lawyers, but then again Shakespeare did have a point...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on October 15, 2019, 04:58:56 PM

Yeah, if you want to establish a nutter's pie-in-the-sky quasi-communist utopian dictatorship, killing all lawyers is **definitely** a good thing!  :lol:

So all those who want to worship Jack Cade as their lord ...

QuoteJACK CADE. Be brave, then; for your captain is brave, and vows reformation. There shall be in England seven half-penny loaves sold for a penny: the three-hoop'd pot shall have ten hoops; and I will make it felony to drink small beer: all the realm shall be in common; and in Cheapside shall my palfrey go to grass: and when I am king,– as king I will be,–

ALL. God save your majesty!

JACK CADE. I thank you, good people:– there shall be no money; all shall eat and drink on my score; and I will apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

DICK. The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Jack CADE. Nay, that I mean to do.

-- Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2019, 04:40:34 PM

Most people hate their lawyer too, but are smart enough not to tell them to their face. :P :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2019, 04:46:35 PM
Most people like me, and I'm a lawyer. :)
the ones you send behind bars don't like you so much, I guess.  :P
But I tend to like Crown Prosecutor.  I don't know, there's this aura of "truth&justice" surrounding you guys that is absent from other lawyers, since, well, their interest is to defend their client, not justice or the truth.  That's what the ethical code demands of them.  It's hard to understand, sometimes, but I am unable to think of a better system rigth now.  Not that I have spent a lot of time on it anyway.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2019, 05:20:49 PM
Quote from: PDH on October 15, 2019, 04:58:56 PM

Yeah, if you want to establish a nutter's pie-in-the-sky quasi-communist utopian dictatorship, killing all lawyers is **definitely** a good thing!  :lol:

So all those who want to worship Jack Cade as their lord ...

QuoteJACK CADE. Be brave, then; for your captain is brave, and vows reformation. There shall be in England seven half-penny loaves sold for a penny: the three-hoop'd pot shall have ten hoops; and I will make it felony to drink small beer: all the realm shall be in common; and in Cheapside shall my palfrey go to grass: and when I am king,– as king I will be,–

ALL. God save your majesty!

JACK CADE. I thank you, good people:– there shall be no money; all shall eat and drink on my score; and I will apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

DICK. The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Jack CADE. Nay, that I mean to do.

-- Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2
the no small beer thing is allright if all bars have the big ones, you know...
As for the worshipping part, well, he kinda lost me there :P