And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2019, 05:10:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2019, 03:41:44 PM
I am sure a great many people have used a great many of slurs over the many eras of history.

I didn't realize that was something we should emulate.

But I see that was the intention, I was not aware that was the intention.

Of course it isn't. But asking white men to stop their crap hasn't worked. Instead, it's created a battle cry for the stubborn majority that Political Correctness is to blame for curbing their tongue. Those evil Liberal Free Speech deniers!

But this? Guys aren't liking it much. They're getting upset. They're feeling the pinch of their very being suddenly being a negative, a slur. Things they have absolutely no control over is being mocked and spat on.. And yeah... it sucks. It's awful. It absolutely shouldn't be happening.

Maybe the guys should have listened when we said stop it.
So you wanna combat some people being a jerk by being a jerk to a lot of people.  Fuck that.  Self serving crap.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2019, 11:41:15 AM
Quote from: dps on August 27, 2019, 11:35:59 AM
For some reason I thought it was Yi who posted that Meri was "as old as I am".  He's what, 30?

Sorry, Meri.

There's no way in hell Yi is 30.  Pretty sure he's on the back half of his 40s.
early to mid 50s.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2019, 02:40:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2019, 11:41:15 AM
Quote from: dps on August 27, 2019, 11:35:59 AM
For some reason I thought it was Yi who posted that Meri was "as old as I am".  He's what, 30?

Sorry, Meri.

There's no way in hell Yi is 30.  Pretty sure he's on the back half of his 40s.
early to mid 50s.

Like 62 or thereabouts.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2019, 11:10:17 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 10:29:26 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2019, 10:11:22 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 10:06:57 AM
Then what is your suggestion to fix the obvious disparity in how white men - as a majority - treat all others? Their demonization and dehumanization of women, blacks, Hispanics, etc?

Because calling them out has resulted in fuck all.

You're as old as I am Meri - you haven't noticed a significant change in how we treat or talk about women and minorities in the last 20 years?

:blink:

BB, it's gotten worse. The past 5-10 years have been steadily getting worse, and it's ramped up since Trump was elected. I hear the N word by white men more now than I did as a kid. My freaking Uber drivers in Salt Lake City - all three of them - felt that it was perfectly okay to regal me with stories about how The Good Blacks are okay, but the rest of them... *shakes heads*

It was better, and now it's worse. And it continues to get worse.

So what's the solution?

I cannot comment on what is happening in the US.  In Canada it has definitely gotten better
Yes, we a very pro-feminist Prime Minister, always considering to the advice of women on his team.    :yes:
So long as it happens to be the same thing he was thinking of. :sleep:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2019, 05:10:33 PM

Of course it isn't. But asking white men to stop their crap hasn't worked. Instead, it's created a battle cry for the stubborn majority that Political Correctness is to blame for curbing their tongue. Those evil Liberal Free Speech deniers!

But this? Guys aren't liking it much. They're getting upset. They're feeling the pinch of their very being suddenly being a negative, a slur. Things they have absolutely no control over is being mocked and spat on.. And yeah... it sucks. It's awful. It absolutely shouldn't be happening.

Maybe the guys should have listened when we said stop it.

Indeed. Trying to get people to act decently has been a frustratingly failed human project for thousands of years.

Anyway it is all good. I just wasn't aware that was the intention.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

My impression is that it's rarely a good idea to alienate natural allies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on August 27, 2019, 03:32:01 PM

Allies should believe in equality not because they see friends they want to help, but because it's the right thing to do.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 03:36:19 PM

Allies should believe in equality not because they see friends they want to help, but because it's the right thing to do.

Allies are hardly the same as friends. Is hurling abuse at natural allies the right thing to do, or is that done for other reasons?

Valmy

Indeed. I don't give a damn if people hate me for the color of my skin or my gender, I am going to do what I think is right. People hating others who are different than themselves is about as natural and normal as it gets. I was just taken aback to see it coming from people I otherwise respect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 27, 2019, 03:46:54 PM

Allies are hardly the same as friends. Is hurling abuse at natural allies the right thing to do, or is that done for other reasons?

"I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice."

But still I agree abuse might feel good as an outlet but ultimately not effective.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2019, 02:43:07 PM
[spoiler]Fifty six[/spoiler]

:o Don't join the [spoiler]fifty six[/spoiler] club, please!

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2019, 04:14:25 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 27, 2019, 03:46:54 PM

"I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice."

But still I agree abuse might feel good as an outlet but ultimately not effective.

It's also a different time. We aren't in the sixties.

If you are in the US, and want progress, everyone agrees you have to get rid of the current President, and the pack or regressive Republicans who support him. That will undoubtedly come down to convincing a sufficient number of the amorphous mass of whites who are not Klansmen (the Klansmen will all vote for Trump) to come out and vote Democrat.

This task will be made easier if those who identify as progressive Democrats don't go around trash talking about whites.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2019, 03:51:06 PM
Indeed. I don't give a damn if people hate me for the color of my skin or my gender, I am going to do what I think is right. People hating others who are different than themselves is about as natural and normal as it gets. I was just taken aback to see it coming from people I otherwise respect.

Look, you guys are 100% correct that it shouldn't happen. It's wrong no matter how it's done. But I also know that sometimes giving as good as you get has an affect. Good, bad, or indifferent, that's where this stems from.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...