Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: dps on August 27, 2019, 10:22:17 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2019, 10:11:22 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 10:06:57 AM
Then what is your suggestion to fix the obvious disparity in how white men - as a majority - treat all others? Their demonization and dehumanization of women, blacks, Hispanics, etc?

Because calling them out has resulted in fuck all.

You're as old as I am Meri - you haven't noticed a significant change in how we treat or talk about women and minorities in the last 20 years?

IIRC, she's older than you.  She's closer to my age--and I was born before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed.

I knew she was somewhat older than I am - but while it's usually bad form to mention how old a woman is, that was kind of my whole point, so I downplayed it by saying she is as old as I am.  -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 10:31:40 AM
Then what is your suggestion to fix the obvious disparity in how white men - as a majority - treat all others? Their demonization and dehumanization of women, blacks, Hispanics, etc?

You're as old as I am Meri - you haven't noticed a significant change in how we treat or talk about women and minorities in the last 20 years?

IIRC, she's older than you.  She's closer to my age--and I was born before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed.

:mad: Am not! My birthday is Dec 1969. :mad:

I've heard life begins at 50.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 27, 2019, 10:51:38 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 10:31:40 AM

:mad: Am not! My birthday is Dec 1969. :mad:

I've heard life begins at 50.  :)

Seems to be the case for me! ^_^
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 10:29:26 AM

:blink:

BB, it's gotten worse. The past 5-10 years have been steadily getting worse, and it's ramped up since Trump was elected. I hear the N word by white men more now than I did as a kid. My freaking Uber drivers in Salt Lake City - all three of them - felt that it was perfectly okay to regal me with stories about how The Good Blacks are okay, but the rest of them... *shakes heads*

It was better, and now it's worse. And it continues to get worse.

So what's the solution?

I cannot comment on what is happening in the US.  In Canada it has definitely gotten better

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 10:45:13 AM
I can believe the last few years has seen a degradation compared to the years/decade before it, but on a longer scale the trend is still positive, and I don't think the likes of Trump can turn it around.

Doesn't mean people should just sit down and take it, obviously, but "the good ones are okay but the rest of them *shakes heads*" pretty much describes your posts here regarding white men.

Here's the difference: My having an issue with white men doesn't in any way directly affect them other than to feel slighted. There have been numerous white men in my life who have actively dehumanized me, most recently my former manager. The HR Director specifically told him that he was creating a hostile work environment for the women on this team. That man still has a job - in fact I believe he recently got a promotion - whereas two other women and I had to change jobs because the team was so toxic towards women.

White men getting insulted vs. it directly impacting their lives and livelihood in a demonstrable way are not comparable.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 10:11:07 AM
I am not dehumanising or demonising anyone.

Then what is your suggestion to fix the obvious disparity in how women - as a majority - treat all others? Their demonization and dehumanization of men, blacks, Hispanics, etc?

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on September 16, 2013, 07:25:21 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2013, 07:18:48 PM
I am not sure where the bigotry part comes from Larch. So I trolled on about religion. It was a dick move because I did not realise how home I was hitting that for many of you, but really, getting overboard on Languish OT? Is that such a big deal? Agreed, it was less sterile and thus less condescending in nature than what Viking writes on the topic, but come on dude.

You yourself said that what you wanted to do unhindered was to be able to indulge in some good ol' fashioned Islam bashing. I'm sure that there are plenty of other forums around the net where such opinions are more than welcome.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2019, 11:25:57 AM

I am not sure where the bigotry part comes from Larch. So I trolled on about religion. It was a dick move because I did not realise how home I was hitting that for many of you, but really, getting overboard on Languish OT? Is that such a big deal? Agreed, it was less sterile and thus less condescending in nature than what Viking writes on the topic, but come on dude.

You yourself said that what you wanted to do unhindered was to be able to indulge in some good ol' fashioned Islam bashing. I'm sure that there are plenty of other forums around the net where such opinions are more than welcome.

:lol:

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 11:12:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 10:45:13 AM
I can believe the last few years has seen a degradation compared to the years/decade before it, but on a longer scale the trend is still positive, and I don't think the likes of Trump can turn it around.

Doesn't mean people should just sit down and take it, obviously, but "the good ones are okay but the rest of them *shakes heads*" pretty much describes your posts here regarding white men.

Here's the difference: My having an issue with white men doesn't in any way directly affect them other than to feel slighted. There have been numerous white men in my life who have actively dehumanized me, most recently my former manager. The HR Director specifically told him that he was creating a hostile work environment for the women on this team. That man still has a job - in fact I believe he recently got a promotion - whereas two other women and I had to change jobs because the team was so toxic towards women.

White men getting insulted vs. it directly impacting their lives and livelihood in a demonstrable way are not comparable.

Is he keeping his job because he is a white man? Or because he is an assertive asshole?

Is calling me out as a subhuman worthy of collective punishment really going to get rid of such people from society?

Tamas

Explain this please. Not the super-creepy part of digging this up, but what does this prove?

dps

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2019, 10:48:47 AM

I knew she was somewhat older than I am - but while it's usually bad form to mention how old a woman is, that was kind of my whole point, so I downplayed it by saying she is as old as I am.  -_-

For some reason I thought it was Yi who posted that Meri was "as old as I am".  He's what, 30?

Sorry, Meri.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 11:34:51 AM

Explain this please. Not the super-creepy part of digging this up, but what does this prove?

Oh yeah using a search function on a forum is super creepy. Wtf?

It proves that there are people you are happy to dehumanise/demonise when you find it amusing. Or at least you did 6 years ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on August 27, 2019, 11:35:59 AM
For some reason I thought it was Yi who posted that Meri was "as old as I am".  He's what, 30?

Sorry, Meri.

There's no way in hell Yi is 30.  Pretty sure he's on the back half of his 40s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 11:33:21 AM
Is he keeping his job because he is a white man? Or because he is an assertive asshole?

He's keeping his job because his white heterosexual male boss doesn't see a need to fire him just because he's making life hell for the women on his team specifically because they are women and he doesn't think they're very smart. (He said this to the HR Director.)

Is calling me out as a subhuman worthy of collective punishment really going to get rid of such people from society?

I'm really not sure how lumping all white men together is calling you out as subhuman in the same way that calling a black man "black boy" is. YMMV

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2019, 11:41:15 AM
Quote from: dps on August 27, 2019, 11:35:59 AM

Sorry, Meri.

There's no way in hell Yi is 30.  Pretty sure he's on the back half of his 40s.

He's a bit older than I am. Like a year or two, I think.