News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2018, 11:22:44 AM
oh, it's those whacky Eastern Europeans again!

So how is your red tree looking this year?

Actually do Hungarians and Slavs do Christmas Trees? I guess I always thought that was mainly a German thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2018, 08:32:00 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2018, 11:22:44 AM
oh, it's those whacky Eastern Europeans again!

So how is your red tree looking this year?

Actually do Hungarians and Slavs do Christmas Trees? I guess I always thought that was mainly a German thing.

Yes of course. Well, Hungarians do. There's a heavy German influence on Hungary so I guess it's not surprising.

I have never in my long life seen a red Christmas tree though, ever.

But it is good to know that all Eastern Europeans get their ancestry finger-pointed out when something about them or their opinion needs to be dismissed as irrelevant. :P

The Larch

And Slovenes are barely eastern at all, they're basically Austrians who speak funny.

Threviel

Quote from: The Larch on December 01, 2018, 04:40:06 AM
And Slovenes are barely eastern at all, they're basically Austrians who speak funny.

Since Austrians are easterners that happen to speak german that makes them easterners.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on December 01, 2018, 03:30:37 AM

There were a couple of things I recall hearing consistently in Russian discourse that I never heard in American discourse until recently.  One was the use of the word "globalist", and another was the painting of CNN as an American propaganda mouthpiece (because that's the only American news channel Russians are familiar with).  Funny how disinformation campaigns tend to converge.

Valmy

Yeah it is kind of weird. One would think MSNBC would be enemy #1. Or the New York Times or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2018, 06:48:02 PM
Yeah it is kind of weird. One would think MSNBC would be enemy #1. Or the New York Times or something.
Too many syllables in those.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Why would one think that? CNN is better established than MSNBC and has a broader reach than the NYT.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 01, 2018, 06:55:49 PM
Why would one think that? CNN is better established than MSNBC and has a broader reach than the NYT.

Because MSNBC in particular more closely fits their caricature.  CNN is pretty middle of the road.

Eddie Teach

To people on the right, all of the "mainstream" media are biased against them. They focus on CNN because it's the most important.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Oexmelin

This is the result of so much US history taught in isolation from the rest of the world. Tens of thousands of loyalists fled the War of independence to Cananda and the Caribbean and tens of thousands of Confederates fled the Civil War to South America.

I know, it's a meme, but the idea that Americans in the past were not always in the movers and shakers of history is so widespread...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

Besides, if there's one thing the Middle East isn't short of, it's people taking up arms. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

America is an immigrant country almost entirely populated by people who left their country of origin :hmm:

QuoteThis is the result of so much US history taught in isolation from the rest of the world

I think it is the result of people not paying attention even in US history class :P

I mean why didn't those pilgrims stay home and man up?