Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Funny thing is that most people approving of this poster are quite happy to have Russia involved in the politics of this country.  :hmm: Actually, that's not funny at all.

Valmy

Act like somebody from Florida? No thanks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on May 25, 2017, 05:12:32 PM

Florida and Texas ain't much different.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 25, 2017, 05:29:32 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 25, 2017, 05:12:32 PM

Florida and Texas ain't much different.

Now that is just uncalled for.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

Btw, here's Mitch Landrieu's speech about the removal of statues and monuments of the Confederacy:

QuoteYou see — New Orleans is truly a city of many nations, a melting pot, a bubbling caldron of many cultures. There is no other place quite like it in the world that so eloquently exemplifies the uniquely American motto: e pluribus unum — out of many we are one. But there are also other truths about our city that we must confront. New Orleans was America's largest slave market: a port where hundreds of thousands of souls were bought, sold and shipped up the Mississippi River to lives of forced labor of misery of rape, of torture. America was the place where nearly 4000 of our fellow citizens were lynched, 540 alone in Louisiana; where the courts enshrined 'separate but equal'; where Freedom riders coming to New Orleans were beaten to a bloody pulp. So when people say to me that the monuments in question are history, well what I just described is real history as well, and it is the searing truth.

And it immediately begs the questions, why there are no slave ship monuments, no prominent markers on public land to remember the lynchings or the slave blocks; nothing to remember this long chapter of our lives; the pain, the sacrifice, the shame... all of it happening on the soil of New Orleans. So for those self-appointed defenders of history and the monuments, they are eerily silent on what amounts to this historical malfeasance, a lie by omission. There is a difference between remembrance of history and reverence of it.

It's a good speech.

Full speech here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/opinion/mitch-landrieus-speech-transcript.html?_r=0
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 25, 2017, 09:08:15 PM
Btw, here's Mitch Landrieu's speech about the removal of statues and monuments of the Confederacy:

QuoteYou see — New Orleans is truly a city of many nations, a melting pot, a bubbling caldron of many cultures. There is no other place quite like it in the world that so eloquently exemplifies the uniquely American motto: e pluribus unum — out of many we are one. But there are also other truths about our city that we must confront. New Orleans was America's largest slave market: a port where hundreds of thousands of souls were bought, sold and shipped up the Mississippi River to lives of forced labor of misery of rape, of torture. America was the place where nearly 4000 of our fellow citizens were lynched, 540 alone in Louisiana; where the courts enshrined 'separate but equal'; where Freedom riders coming to New Orleans were beaten to a bloody pulp. So when people say to me that the monuments in question are history, well what I just described is real history as well, and it is the searing truth.

And it immediately begs the questions, why there are no slave ship monuments, no prominent markers on public land to remember the lynchings or the slave blocks; nothing to remember this long chapter of our lives; the pain, the sacrifice, the shame... all of it happening on the soil of New Orleans. So for those self-appointed defenders of history and the monuments, they are eerily silent on what amounts to this historical malfeasance, a lie by omission. There is a difference between remembrance of history and reverence of it.

It's a good speech.

Full speech here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/opinion/mitch-landrieus-speech-transcript.html?_r=0

My impression is that people who loudly defend Confederacy-related monuments think that the monuments they are defending are celebrating their subjects.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Facebook to the refute:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I guess the retort, in same vein, would be and only .000000000001% of white people were part of the Confederacy so why you so mad bro?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2017, 04:37:11 PM
Funny thing is that most people approving of this poster are quite happy to have Russia involved in the politics of this country.  :hmm: Actually, that's not funny at all.

Nor is it funny that they take up the cause of traitors who levied war against the United States.
Patriotism is all fine and dandy unless then there are liberals to bashed.  Then the country can go F itself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 26, 2017, 02:27:08 AM

Facebook to the refute:

Wait....as in in the history of the world? I sure hope it is lower than that :P

I don't see anybody blaming the Bulgarians or the Estonians (presuming they count as white, I can never tell who is white) for American slavery so I don't quite get the point of that meme but then memes are supposed to act on emotions and not make sense.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2017, 02:35:06 AM
I guess the retort, in same vein, would be and only .000000000001% of white people were part of the Confederacy so why you so mad bro?

Right?

Anyway it is not the Confederate monuments around the Texas Capitol that I find most annoying. It is the propaganda they have printed on them. If it was just 'hey once Texans died fighting for the Confederacy how about that?' Instead it is most like 'In memory of the heroes who died fighting for freedom against tyranny's jackboot.'

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2017, 09:32:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2017, 02:35:06 AM

Right?

Anyway it is not the Confederate monuments around the Texas Capitol that I find most annoying. It is the propaganda they have printed on them. If it was just 'hey once Texans died fighting for the Confederacy how about that?' Instead it is most like 'In memory of the heroes who died fighting for freedom against tyranny's jackboot.'

The amazing part is how the people who think that are not even slightly cognizant of the incredible irony of the statement.

I mean, they aren't even aware of the irony, but reject it - they are completely and entirely nonplussed by the idea that the role of "tyranny's jackboot" might be already taken by the party in that conflict that was fighting to keep owning other human beings as property.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2017, 09:28:13 AM
Nor is it funny that they take up the cause of traitors who levied war against the United States.
Patriotism is all fine and dandy unless then there are liberals to bashed.  Then the country can go F itself.

What is funny isn't that they support the greatest American traitors, it is that they support the greatest American losers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

What is funny is pies in faces and people falling over.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.