News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

The scientific theory of memes has been dead for about a decade.  I suspect the use of the word "memes" comes from the Dawkin's cult, those people didn't have a lot going for them to begin with.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Curious: if nobody cares about celebrity, why does it sell so much with the mouthbreathers? 

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2017, 10:49:36 AM
Curious: if nobody cares about celebrity, why does it sell so much with the mouthbreathers?

Nothing much funnier than someone sharing his opinion that no one cares about someone else's opinion.  Self-awareness is obviously not a Conservative Value.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2017, 11:05:24 AM
Nothing much funnier than someone sharing his opinion that no one cares about someone else's opinion.  Self-awareness is obviously not a Conservative Value.

Lack of self-awareness from a political party that repeatedly tries to legislate a black-and-white morality?  Shocking! :o
Experience bij!

Syt

I find the lack of self awareness indeed funny.

"Shut up, actors, nobody cares what you think!"

1h later ...

"I agree with James Woods, he knows what's what!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

"Ted Nugent says celebrities suck! You go, Ted!"

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2017, 06:52:18 PM
The scientific theory of memes has been dead for about a decade.  I suspect the use of the word "memes" comes from the Dawkin's cult, those people didn't have a lot going for them to begin with.
Are you saying that ideas don't spread through a population?

Berkut

He is saying he hates Dawkins and atheists, so anything they propose he is against. Don't take the bait.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on January 16, 2017, 10:19:54 AM
He is saying he hates Dawkins and atheists, so anything they propose he is against. Don't take the bait.
No this is something he rants about on a regular basis. It's fairly amusing. It's like saying genes don't exist because someone had an incorrect theory about them.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on January 16, 2017, 10:06:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2017, 06:52:18 PM
Are you saying that ideas don't spread through a population?

No, I didn't say that.  People understood that ideas move through a population well before Dawkins came up with memes.  The scientific journal of Memes has been defunct for about a decade.  No peer-reviewed journal, no science. While the rest of the world has moved on, it remains alive amongst cranks, logical positivists, and pseudo-intellectuals on the internet

Ideas exist, memes do not.  Meme has meaning beyond simply "idea".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on January 16, 2017, 10:28:09 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 16, 2017, 10:19:54 AM
No this is something he rants about on a regular basis. It's fairly amusing. It's like saying genes don't exist because someone had an incorrect theory about them.

More like saying "genes don't exist because Gregor Mendel disliked cauliflower."  If Raz doesn't like the messenger, he refuses to accept the existence of the message.  He'll argue that memes don't exist unless they can be shown to be scientifically based.  That idea is absurd, as can easily be demonstrated by the observation that, e.g., religion exists, even though it cannot be associated with a disprovable scientific theory.

As Berkut advises, don't take the bait.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

That's rich from someone who refuses to recognize my posts. :lol:

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2017, 11:36:46 AM
No, I didn't say that.  People understood that ideas move through a population well before Dawkins came up with memes.  The scientific journal of Memes has been defunct for about a decade.  No peer-reviewed journal, no science. While the rest of the world has moved on, it remains alive amongst cranks, logical positivists, and pseudo-intellectuals on the internet

Ideas exist, memes do not.  Meme has meaning beyond simply "idea".
So a journal goes defunct and suddenly a concept with the same name doesn't exist? :lol: Memes are widely referred to in information and cognitive sciences today. Ergo they exist.