Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2016, 04:09:41 PM
And republicans very quickly become a minority party.

It is one thing to debate guantanamo bay, trade agreements, and relatively small tax differences.  But have a party tell a mother that her 16 year old daughter will have to carry a child to term, and that party is going to lose her vote.

Nah. If enough moms feel that way, it becomes a non-issue. And they already vote Democrat anyway.

The real place they'd lose votes is with males who support abortion, they are the most complacent demographic currently.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2016, 03:34:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 02:21:13 PM
Okay, realistically, what is it that President Pence is going to be able to do that is so terrible (and yet within the Constitution).
Replace Supreme Court Judges with reactionary ones.

corrected that for you

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 14, 2016, 04:35:35 PM
The real place they'd lose votes is with males who support abortion, they are the most complacent demographic currently.

I can only carry all these assholes for so long.

Barrister

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 14, 2016, 04:42:33 PM
Okay, realistically, what is it that President Pence is going to be able to do that is so terrible (and yet within the Constitution).

corrected that for you

Dude they're replacing Scalia right now.  Exactly how much more conservative can you get?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 02:42:16 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2016, 02:31:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2016, 02:05:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 01:04:50 PM
You're all been taking crazy pills if you're more afraid of Pence than Trump. :wacko:

We are more afraid of Pence because we hold a little amount of hope that Trump is not going to do everything promised. While we, rightfully, fear Pence for the zealot he is.

Your faith is blinding you right now, it's ok.

Well Beeb also doesn't care about the things that Pence threatens.

Anti-Choice
Creationism
Anti-gay
Anti-common curriculum

You know the things Larch said in the post you quoted in reply #2307.

No, give me specifics.

On being "anti-choice", besides nominating conservative USSC Justices, he has zero sway over abortion laws in the US if he were President.

Creationism - the federal government can't mandate creationism be taught in schools (see below).

Anti-gay - again the USSC has ruled on most of the major issues.  Gay marriage is the law of the land.

Common core - I have to admit I never got the right-wing obsession over this.  It's a fairly benign set of educational standards.  Several states have already opted out.  And anyways Trump has said he'll repeal Common Core anyways.

I get it - you don't like Pence's values.  But what is it he could actually do?

So what terrible things could President Pence do?  I can think of precisely two: he could order his Education Secretary to stop enforcing transgendered rights as applicable under Title IX.  And he could (but is very unlikely to) re-introduce "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" in the military.

And that's all I can come up with.  Do you have

Yeah, what can he do, after all he'd only be the President of the USA, you know, a purely symbolic office.  :rolleyes:

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on November 14, 2016, 05:24:09 PM
Yeah, what can he do, after all he'd only be the President of the USA, you know, a purely symbolic office.  :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

POTUS has incredibly wide powers in some areas (like military and trade), but very narrow in others.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2016, 02:56:55 PM
Appointing conservative judges is scary enough but in tandem with letting the states run amok is how I see all of these happening.

How? By getting Congress to pass law & signing them. Pence is one of them!

So basically any Republican scares you.  Because they all promised to appoint conservative judges.

And what laws?  Remember that Congress is constrained by the constituion - various powers are either held by the state, and any law has to pass constitutional muster.

Well yes, pretty crazy people.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 14, 2016, 04:42:33 PM

corrected that for you

Dude they're replacing Scalia right now.  Exactly how much more conservative can you get?
It's not just Scalia.  2 or 3 others should theoritically leave the USSC during Trump's or Pence's mandate.  Had Obama been able to replace Scalia with a progressive judge, it wouldn't have been so bad.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I was laughing so hard at the first characterization I almost missed the racist bit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Derspicy neck of the woods, shocking ain't it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son