News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2016, 02:05:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 01:04:50 PM
You're all been taking crazy pills if you're more afraid of Pence than Trump. :wacko:

We are more afraid of Pence because we hold a little amount of hope that Trump is not going to do everything promised. While we, rightfully, fear Pence for the zealot he is.

Your faith is blinding you right now, it's ok.

Well Beeb also doesn't care about the things that Pence threatens.

Abortions pisses them off so much, even more so since they lost the Marriage war.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

You're all been taking crazy pills if you're more afraid of Pence than Trump. :wacko:

We are more afraid of Pence because we hold a little amount of hope that Trump is not going to do everything promised. While we, rightfully, fear Pence for the zealot he is.

Okay, realistically, what is it that President Pence is going to be able to do that is so terrible (and yet within the Constitution).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

I mainly look at the American government in terms of foreign policy. Trump seems to be a threat to the Western world order as he openly disdains its institutions and I wouldn't put it beyond him to severely damage these institutions (e.g. WTO, NATO etc.)

Pence seems to be a reactionary on lots of social issues, but that's a domestic problem for Americans. I have my opinion on that, but in the end, it's their country and they need to find the right way for themselves. But in terms of foreign policy, he seems to be a blank slate. That let's me hope that he is just your normal Republican on these and is not interested in toppling the institutions of the Pax Americana...

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 02:21:13 PM

Okay, realistically, what is it that President Pence is going to be able to do that is so terrible (and yet within the Constitution).

Anti-Choice
Creationism
Anti-gay
Anti-common curriculum

You know the things Larch said in the post you quoted in reply #2307.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2016, 02:31:52 PM

Anti-Choice
Creationism
Anti-gay
Anti-common curriculum

You know the things Larch said in the post you quoted in reply #2307.

No, give me specifics.

On being "anti-choice", besides nominating conservative USSC Justices, he has zero sway over abortion laws in the US if he were President.

Creationism - the federal government can't mandate creationism be taught in schools (see below).

Anti-gay - again the USSC has ruled on most of the major issues.  Gay marriage is the law of the land.

Common core - I have to admit I never got the right-wing obsession over this.  It's a fairly benign set of educational standards.  Several states have already opted out.  And anyways Trump has said he'll repeal Common Core anyways.

I get it - you don't like Pence's values.  But what is it he could actually do?

So what terrible things could President Pence do?  I can think of precisely two: he could order his Education Secretary to stop enforcing transgendered rights as applicable under Title IX.  And he could (but is very unlikely to) re-introduce "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" in the military.

And that's all I can come up with.  Do you have

Grey Fox

Appointing conservative judges is scary enough but in tandem with letting the states run amok is how I see all of these happening.

How? By getting Congress to pass law & signing them. Pence is one of them!

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2016, 02:56:55 PM
Appointing conservative judges is scary enough but in tandem with letting the states run amok is how I see all of these happening.

How? By getting Congress to pass law & signing them. Pence is one of them!

So basically any Republican scares you.  Because they all promised to appoint conservative judges.

And what laws?  Remember that Congress is constrained by the constituion - various powers are either held by the state, and any law has to pass constitutional muster.

viper37

Replace Supreme Court Judges with ultra-conservative ones.
Push bills through Congress that would threaten social improvements of the last few years.  Have the Supreme Court squash down any attempt at legal opposition.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 03:05:03 PM
And what laws?  Remember that Congress is constrained by the constituion - various powers are either held by the state, and any law has to pass constitutional muster.
And the Constitution is interpreted by the Supreme Court.

If there was a case were, say, the Supreme Court decided that abortion is now the perogative of States and not Federal government, Roe vs Wade would be invalidated and the would screw women's rights in 2/3 of the US States.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2016, 03:38:20 PM

If there was a case were, say, the Supreme Court decided that abortion is now the perogative of States and not Federal government, Roe vs Wade would be invalidated and the would screw women's rights in 2/3 of the US States.

And republicans very quickly become a minority party.

It is one thing to debate guantanamo bay, trade agreements, and relatively small tax differences.  But have a party tell a mother that her 16 year old daughter will have to carry a child to term, and that party is going to lose her vote.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

I doubt the number of mothers of potential teenage moms that are denied abortions is significant enough to change even the tightest of swing states.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2016, 04:09:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2016, 03:38:20 PM

And republicans very quickly become a minority party.

It is one thing to debate guantanamo bay, trade agreements, and relatively small tax differences.  But have a party tell a mother that her 16 year old daughter will have to carry a child to term, and that party is going to lose her vote.

I dunno - might lose the daughter's vote (but she can't vote yet) while winning the mom's vote. :unsure:

Valmy

Because she was voting Democrat before on the assumption they were the anti-abortion party?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2016, 04:29:58 PM
Because she was voting Democrat before on the assumption they were the anti-abortion party?

Because she wants her some grandkids. -_-