News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Well, considering all the SS-Trumpenfürers I know of in the service, it's kind of reassuring to know there's at least one member of the resistance on the inside.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2016, 04:27:50 PM
Well, considering all the SS-Trumpenfürers I know of in the service, it's kind of reassuring to know there's at least one member of the resistance on the inside.

It seems Spanky has become a fully paid member of the Berniebro Trump/Clinton moral equivalency cadre.  Nothing reassuring about that.

CountDeMoney

Welll...somebody's got to sneak the briefcase into bunker.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 08:14:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2016, 08:07:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 08:02:35 AM
I know we should not laugh at the feeble-minded, but there are actually people on my Facebook talking, in all seriousness, about suicide watch and offering their support for any suicidal friends triggered by Trump's victory.  :hmm:

My sister isn't suicidal but I know she's in quite an emotional state feeling like her country has rejected her. She messaged me about being fearful on how she will deal with victorious Trump supporters in Alaska.

No offense to your sister, as this is more of a general remark, but I think it speaks to some fundamental dysfunction within one's psyche if one gets so upset about a political result. The fact is, Trump will not turn the USA into nazi Germany, and even if he is worse than Dubya, the actual tangible effect on anyone's life in the US will not be that great. It is a big country, with a tradition of dissidence, so in the worst case scenario, one can always move to some state or county with people who share your views.

I am not saying one should ignore politics but ultimately it has limited influence on our daily lives. People get emotionally invested in it, because they want their team to win, but I think it is healthier to approach it more stoically.

I'm going to have to concur with my Polish comrade here. Lots of friends and colleagues hysterical to a ridiculous degree.

The Minsky Moment

Yeah garb's sis stop whining.  If things get bad you can just quit your job and move to another state hundreds of miles away, no hardship. Two random Europeans assure us that you have no reason to be anxious.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 10, 2016, 04:52:01 PM
Yeah garb's sis stop whining.  If things get bad you can just quit your job and move to another state hundreds of miles away, no hardship. Two random Europeans assure us that you have no reason to be anxious.

Nothing wrong with anxious.  Hell I'm anxious and it's not my country.

But weeping, sobbing, loosing your shit - it's really kind of unwarranted.  So far.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k

QuoteI've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened. — Mark Twain

citizen k

QuoteMy dear, in the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love. In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile. In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm. I realized, through it all, that...in the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there's something stronger – something better, pushing right back. — Albert Camus

The Minsky Moment

My grandparents didn't worry enough about politics and found themselves Jewish and in the Reich in the late 30s, which proved somewhat of an inconvenience.

Obviously this is not the same thing, but history is littered with dead people and refugees who were overly relaxed about political developments.  A little anxiety never killed anyone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Hamilcar

Oh don't play coy. There's an enormous difference between being anxious and worried on the one hand, and fearful sobbing and suicide threats on the other.