News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The Democrats, thus far, have never done that. Well some have tried but they have always infamously lacked the discipline to do it.

But, eventually, they will as the political divisions become more entrenched. Hillary got tons of shit for all the times she voted to go along with Dubya.

Eventually they will also provoke some sort of Constitutional crisis, well actually I guess it kind of has already.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 10, 2016, 08:48:05 AM
But it would be a grave and strategic error to just dismiss all hints of cooperation because its Trump.

Depends. What if the base revolts everytime you work with him?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 08:54:30 AM
But it would be a grave and strategic error to just dismiss all hints of cooperation because its Trump.

I don't know if that'll happen with the Dems. After all, we actually want a working country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 08:54:30 AM

Well yeah.

I think I mentioned this hear a few years ago already, but the evolution of the political life in the US over the last 8-10 years have been worryingly similar to Hungary's since the late 90s.

And with Trump's victory the similarities don't exactly go away.

As you say, odds are, this will develop into even more of a trench war of two sides. And the side with the better fear-mongering and hysterics will win, sweeping all public institutions, and enacting a reign which will be long, but not as long as the lasting damages.

Heck, with Trump at the helm and Congress and Senate in GOP hands, this might have already started.

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2016, 08:40:36 AM
I would be disgusted by the Trump crowd crooning about "unity" and bullshit like that in the face of their candidates campaign, but I am pretty beyond any meaningful response to anything at this point.

When Obama was elected the GOP made a conscious decision to oppose everything he did, regardless of its merits. And that is exactly what they did for eight years.

Then they nominated someone who ran on an explicit platform of dis-unity, division, bigotry, and identity politics.

He has zero standing to expect anyone to back him other than the people who WANTED a racist, bigoted douchebag running the country. Good luck with that.

I fully agree, but then what are the options? Who would benefit if the Democrats picked up the playbook of the GOP and started being obstructive sons of bitches just for the heck of it? Apart from Trump, I mean? Because that is the safest way to guarantee a 2nd (and 3rd and 4th, as things stand) term. Give him an easily identifiable domestic scapegoat to blame for all the big mess he is bound to create.

Sure, by opposing only what needs to be opposed as a matter of principle, it still means a long and conflict-ridden 4 years. But it would be a grave and strategic error to just dismiss all hints of cooperation because its Trump.

Here is the thing though.

I don't want Trump to fail as President.

But I am completely certain that he WILL fail.

That being the case, I don't think anyone has any obligation to help him do as much damage as possible when he does fail, and it is 100% certain that he is going to fail, because it is his nature to do so.

He isn't going to get "the best people". He believes HE is the best people, and has said so time and again. Only HE can defeat ISIS. Only HE knows that global warming is a hoax. Only HE can negotiate the best deals.

This is going to be an epic failure. The only thing to do is control the crash and mitigate the damage. And you can't do that trying to work with the guy flying the plane into the mountain because he is TRYING to fly the plane into the mountain.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 08:52:23 AM
The Democrats, thus far, have never done that. Well some have tried but they have always infamously lacked the discipline to do it.

But, eventually, they will as the political divisions become more entrenched. Hillary got tons of shit for all the times she voted to go along with Dubya.

Eventually they will also provoke some sort of Constitutional crisis, well actually I guess it kind of has already.
Yes, Democrats have definitely played a lot nicer than Republicans have been, probably for the last 40 years.  To some extent this difference is intrinsic, just like the fact that during wars western powers will always commit less atrocities than non-western powers.  That's part of our values and what gives us moral high ground. 

But if playing nice makes you lose a lot of ground to powers that don't, then at some point you have to counter ruthlessness with ruthlessness, as dirty as that makes you feel.  Being virtuous doesn't matter when you're dead.

Lettow77

http://www.businessinsider.com/calexit-explainer-california-plans-to-secede-2016-11

I'd be an enthusiastic supporter of California's secession from the union. There's no need for the respective nations of North America to force themselves to coexist in a single political structure if the contention is too much to bear. :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on November 10, 2016, 09:04:59 AM
o some extent this difference is intrinsic, just like the fact that during wars western powers will always commit less atrocities than non-western powers.  That's part of our values and what gives us moral high ground. 

Valmy

derspiess

Fahdiz had an interesting post on FB about how the 2nd Amendment may be useful in defending against tyrants like Trump.  Then he said his side needed to take back the Gadsden flag.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2016, 09:37:40 AM
Fahdiz had an interesting post on FB about how the 2nd Amendment may be useful in defending against tyrants like Trump.  Then he said his side needed to take back the Gadsden flag.

That sounds scary for a guy that was freaked out about a video game.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Fuck that flag. It's barely better than the Confederate one.

The Cubs season has transform Fahdiz alot.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

I look forward to the Bernie Bro militias forming up in the mountains. We could finally get some action up there.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 10:05:25 AM

I look forward to the Bernie Bro militias forming up in the mountains. We could finally get some action up there.

The gun needs to be artesinal and made from kale.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Will the supply of Ben and Jerry's be disrupted?  :(

NO BLOOD FOR CHUNKY MONKY
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points