News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 02:29:40 PM
to judge what is harmful to Native Americans - whose treatment in the US ranges on a scale from being the targets of outright genocide to disinterested neglect at best. Turning (or rather maintaining) Native American symbols as a jokes or something not worthy of respect, makes it that much harder for them to be taken seriously when they struggle for civil rights and redress of their grievances.

Wait we are currently genociding Native Americans? I was never particularly fond of that word being used in this particular instance since our government intentionally avoided making that policy, which is probably the only positive thing I can think of to say about our Native American policy.

Native Americans are such a crazy diverse group  that it is very difficult to get a gauge on what they think.

For example I really want the my favorite team to change its name from the Redskins and dump all the Native American stuff. The actual Native Americans themselves, when polled, say they are cool with it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

But, on the other hand, presumably the ones that aren't cool with it are REALLY not cool with it because they raise a pretty big stink.

And it gets more complicated because Native Americans were respected in a weird way, like how the Romans respected the Huns or the Chinese respected their friendly neighborhood Mongols, so even when their words or symbols or images were appropriated they were not (always) used as a joke or as something not worthy of respect. Numerous states, cities, rivers, emblems, flags, and our currency (before the Presidents took it over) all have or had Native names or images associated with them. Were those bad things to do or not? Should Illinois not have been named Illinois?

I don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 02:35:13 PM
I expect you'll convince Valmy where Oex and failed :cheers:

What are you trying to convince me of?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:53:01 PM

That you are a bad, bad man. Be guilty.

;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 11, 2016, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:16:55 PMBut generally I don't consider Europeans having Kitsch cowboy shit as the same thing as them parading around burning the American Flag. In the latter case they are trying to offend me to send a message.

It's true that one political message is much more overt. But you can also stand confident that there are enough variations in the representations of the Americans that the kitsch cowboy is only one part of it. And you can also stand confident that, even if the stereotype of American = Violent Cowboy does seep into other arenas, including, I am sure, international relations, existing in the minds of foreign diplomats and influencing they treat ambassadors and trade negotiations, the USA has enough resources to make itself taken seriously beyond the stereotype.

Ok let's not mix things here. Just because I think a French chef can cook traditional vietnamese dishes does not mean I think we should embrace racist and national stereotypes.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:53:01 PM

That people who take issue with Native American garb as hallowe'en costumes have a point.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:57:49 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 11, 2016, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:16:55 PMBut generally I don't consider Europeans having Kitsch cowboy shit as the same thing as them parading around burning the American Flag. In the latter case they are trying to offend me to send a message.

It's true that one political message is much more overt. But you can also stand confident that there are enough variations in the representations of the Americans that the kitsch cowboy is only one part of it. And you can also stand confident that, even if the stereotype of American = Violent Cowboy does seep into other arenas, including, I am sure, international relations, existing in the minds of foreign diplomats and influencing they treat ambassadors and trade negotiations, the USA has enough resources to make itself taken seriously beyond the stereotype.

Ok let's not mix things here. Just because I think a French chef can cook traditional vietnamese dishes does not mean I think we should embrace racist and national stereotypes.

That's not how this works.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 02:40:29 PM
That gets back to Toni's native art though.  Sure, it's okay for Bavarians to sell bavarian dressed and beer festivals.

But do they get upset seeing people in north america selling lederhousen and celebrating Octoberfest?

Funnily enough, non-Bavarian Krauts sometimes do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2016, 03:01:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 02:40:29 PM
That gets back to Toni's native art though.  Sure, it's okay for Bavarians to sell bavarian dressed and beer festivals.

But do they get upset seeing people in north america selling lederhousen and celebrating Octoberfest?

Funnily enough, non-Bavarian Krauts sometimes do.

Yeah they get annoyed it is not an authentic representation of modern Germany. As if that would be any fun.

Grinning_Colossus

My problem with the idea of cultural appropriation is that everything that we can agree is bad about it can just as easily be described as stereotyping or insulting a culture. The term 'appropriation,' however, frames benign cultural diffusion and exchange as negative, and seems to emerge from the strange assumption that cultures are discrete, self-contained entities.

Quote from: The Larch on October 11, 2016, 02:45:41 PM
In my (very limited) experience, the whole "cultural appropriation" brouhaha is an uniquely American thing, with maybe only a few British forays into it. It's virtually unheard of over here.

One can only imagine how much fun European nationalists will have with it once they do hear about it.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 02:59:14 PM
That people who take issue with Native American garb as hallowe'en costumes have a point.

My issue was never with the point. And frankly the annual outrage over Halloween costumes is not something that concerns me that much. But Cultural Appropriation as a social ill is worrisome to me because of its combination of vagueness and militancy. Which, as you well know, is a combination I find particularly destructive.

garbon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 11, 2016, 03:03:51 PM
My problem with the idea of cultural appropriation is that everything that we can agree is bad about it can just as easily be described as stereotyping or insulting a culture. The term 'appropriation,' however, frames benign cultural diffusion and exchange as negative, and seems to emerge from the strange assumption that cultures are discrete, self-contained entities.

So your issue is that you parse it incorrectly?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

In my (very limited) experience, the whole "cultural appropriation" brouhaha is an uniquely American thing, with maybe only a few British forays into it. It's virtually unheard of over here.

One can only imagine how much fun European nationalists will have with it once they do hear about it.

But they do have the same concept in europe.  Just listen for what happens when I talk about Canadian-made champagne or parmigiano-reggiano. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 03:05:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 02:59:14 PM

My issue was never with the point. And frankly the annual outrage over Halloween costumes is not something that concerns me that much. But Cultural Appropriation as a social ill is worrisome to me because of its combination of vagueness and militancy. Which, as you well know, is a combination I find particularly destructive.

I don't really find it to be that vague. Sure can some people get militant and apply it incorrectly? Sure but then I think that happens with most concepts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Yup.

The notion that cultural diffusion is basically a bad thing strikes me as a very bad idea.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 03:06:42 PM

But they do have the same concept in europe.  Just listen for what happens when I talk about Canadian-made champagne or parmigiano-reggiano. :)

That's a money thing though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.