News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on October 11, 2016, 02:10:03 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old white* guy, but it seems that people are starting to ignore or forget about the importance of intent. If you're dressing up as a native to insult natives, then ya, that's wrong.  But wearing faux leather to look sexy? Is it tacky, sure is, but is it insulting? I don't think so. Dress up as a Portuguese construction worker, or a beaver petting moose riding mounty to have fun. Go nuts, I don't see how that harms me in any way.

* depending on certain people's views. I'm looking at you Ed :P

I'm deeply offended by all the people who attempt to look sexy by dressing up as middle aged, balding Jewish lawyers. Deeply.  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2016, 02:15:32 PM
Zoupa goes as a French fur trapper BECAUSE HE GRABS THAT PUSSY

Wouldn't "because he grabs that beaver" make more sense?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:03:05 PM
Of course all three countries export those cultures for profit and entertainment. They made the Bollywood tropes and stereotypes themselves and gleefully sent them abroad.

Yeah, I think that's a decent place to draw the line - if you want to dress up as an anime character or a k-pop star or a bollywood character that's pretty legit, but "sexy geisha" or "korean grocery store owner" or "generic guru" are not.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:14:33 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 11, 2016, 02:11:34 PM
The SS livery collar on some of those uniforms or the Reich-eagle with the swastika would be criminal offenses in Germany. Not sure about the Death's Head cap, probably illegal as well.

Surely not. The Death's Head Hussars are not really a Nazi thing.
The death's head in the picture is not the one of the hussars though, but of the SS division, which was clearly a Nazi organisation and has been designated a criminal organisation in the Nuremberg trials.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2016, 02:18:04 PM

I'm deeply offended by all the people who attempt to look sexy by dressing up as middle aged, balding Jewish lawyers. Deeply.  :mad:

more people should. Of the few old Jewish lawyers I know they all have attractive wives. So somethings sexy about them.

... Hint, it's the money. The money is the thing that's sexy about them :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2016, 02:18:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2016, 02:15:32 PM
Zoupa goes as a French fur trapper BECAUSE HE GRABS THAT PUSSY

Wouldn't "because he grabs that beaver" make more sense?  ;)

We've already determined that you don't do humor.  Stay out of my lane, moose boy.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Syt on October 11, 2016, 02:06:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:04:05 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 11, 2016, 01:59:10 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 11, 2016, 01:52:53 PM
We made selling traditional Bavarian dresses and beer festivals to foreigners "appropriating" these customs a booming industry.  :)

Yes. But somehow, I don't see this industry thriving on another, different, 1940s stereotype about Bavarians.

Wow. You couldn't be more wrong. Nazi shit is big business.

You mean like for these reeanactors in Ohio? :P

Ed Anger's surviving male children. The ones who crawl back home from the mountaintop get to go to military school.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:16:55 PMBut generally I don't consider Europeans having Kitsch cowboy shit as the same thing as them parading around burning the American Flag. In the latter case they are trying to offend me to send a message.

It's true that one political message is much more overt. But you can also stand confident that there are enough variations in the representations of the Americans that the kitsch cowboy is only one part of it. And you can also stand confident that, even if the stereotype of American = Violent Cowboy does seep into other arenas, including, I am sure, international relations, existing in the minds of foreign diplomats and influencing they treat ambassadors and trade negotiations, the USA has enough resources to make itself taken seriously beyond the stereotype.
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

We made selling traditional Bavarian dresses and beer festivals to foreigners "appropriating" these customs a booming industry.  :)

:)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on October 11, 2016, 02:20:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2016, 02:18:04 PM

more people should. Of the few old Jewish lawyers I know they all have attractive wives. So somethings sexy about them.

... Hint, it's the money. The money is the thing that's sexy about them :D

And so the harmful stereotyping begins.  :(

;)

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 02:16:55 PMOk I think everybody agrees that actively disrespecting the flag of a country, or symbols of an ethnicity, is offensive. That is clear, and its clarity is significant. But generally I don't consider Europeans having Kitsch cowboy shit as the same thing as them parading around burning the American Flag. In the latter case they are trying to offend me to send a message.

Yeah, of course they're different things.

But it seems off to use the standards of what is harmful to Americans - who can, lest we forget, as a nation bomb any nation into the stone age if they decide to and whose individual lives are generally pretty unaffected by overseas attitudes - to judge what is harmful to Native Americans - whose treatment in the US ranges on a scale from being the targets of outright genocide to disinterested neglect at best. Turning (or rather maintaining) Native American symbols as a jokes or something not worthy of respect, makes it that much harder for them to be taken seriously when they struggle for civil rights and redress of their grievances.

Berkut

I post a thoughtful (at least I thought it was thoughtful) response where I, *Berkut*, actually agree with Oex and Jacob on a topic of culture of all things, and not a single response? No outrage, no agreement, nothing????

I must be losing my touch! :sob:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on October 11, 2016, 02:33:00 PM
I post a thoughtful (at least I thought it was thoughtful) response where I, *Berkut*, actually agree with Oex and Jacob on a topic of culture of all things, and not a single response? No outrage, no agreement, nothing????

I must be losing my touch! :sob:

I expect you'll convince Valmy where Oex and failed :cheers:

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 11, 2016, 01:36:58 PM
The main difference, which seems to escape these casual conversations, is that French culture, or American culture, is backed by powerful industries, hold a dominant space in politics, and in the market, is promoted by extremely powerful states, and generally speaking, can dictate other terms of engagement about themselves than cheap stereotypes.

That gets back to Toni's native art though.  Sure, it's okay for Bavarians to sell bavarian dressed and beer festivals.

But do they get upset seeing people in north america selling lederhousen and celebrating Octoberfest?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

In my (very limited) experience, the whole "cultural appropriation" brouhaha is an uniquely American thing, with maybe only a few British forays into it. It's virtually unheard of over here.