Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

No it is international girl day. We are supposed to be standing with girls on facebook and this will somehow help them get education and health care around the world. And make adult males look creepy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 11:33:47 AM
No it is international girl day. We are supposed to be standing with girls on facebook and this will somehow help them get education and health care around the world. And make adult males look creepy.

Do we have to shave our heads? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2016, 11:54:33 AM
Do we have to shave our heads? 

Yes. If you shave your head five girls get healthy food, health care, and education for life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 11:33:47 AM

Ed Anger will be posing with girls from the Hustler Club.  They're working their way through college.

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 11, 2016, 06:42:28 AM
I don't think so, and besides it was posted by a Yank expat, in jest, though the original post wasn't IIRC.

So the joke is that people are silly to suggest that you don't dress up as caricatures of Native people?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 12:11:02 PM
I don't think so, and besides it was posted by a Yank expat, in jest, though the original post wasn't IIRC.

So the joke is that people are silly to suggest that you don't dress up as caricatures of Native people?

Speaking of which, is it ok if I dress up as a caricature of a viking?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 12:11:02 PM

Is it okay if you dress up in authentic first nations regalia?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:16:01 PMIs it okay if you dress up in authentic first nations regalia?

I'm not sure the authenticity of the outfit makes a halloween costume less of a caricature.

CountDeMoney

Dreasing up as an Indian/Native American for Halloween is impractical, as it is just too damned cold.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 12:19:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:16:01 PMIs it okay if you dress up in authentic first nations regalia?

I'm not sure the authenticity of the outfit makes a halloween costume less of a caricature.

Quotecaricature: a picture, description, etc., ludicrously exaggerating the peculiarities or defects of persons or things

So if you don't exaggerate the peculiarities - if your feather headdress is appropriately sized for example - is it okay to dress up as a aboriginal person?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:26:57 PMSo if you don't exaggerate the peculiarities - if your feather headdress is appropriately sized for example - is it okay to dress up as a aboriginal person?

That's the question for Duque, isn't it?

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2016, 12:25:12 PM
Dreasing up as an Indian/Native American for Halloween is impractical, as it is just too damned cold.

Anyway you should be dressing up as a monster that terrifies the locals. Like Bill Belichick or a police officer or something.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 12:29:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:26:57 PMSo if you don't exaggerate the peculiarities - if your feather headdress is appropriately sized for example - is it okay to dress up as a aboriginal person?

That's the question for Duque, isn't it?

To be honest, I am not sure it will be enough for the PC crowd.

derspiess

Even if you get it all right, the fallback gripe is cultural appropriation.  So no, not okay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2016, 01:04:04 PM
Even if you get it all right, the fallback gripe is cultural appropriation.  So no, not okay.

QuoteThe Movement
7/10 às 0:30 ·
Reminder: Don't steal someone else's culture this Halloween!

I never thought you were such a connoisseur of the Movement.  :P