News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Have the loons really convinced themselves he is a Christian.  I thought the fundies believe he is the second coming of Cyrus.

Valmy

He has been a notorious sleazebag for 30+ years but yeah I hate him because of his Christian virtues.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on June 08, 2019, 03:17:54 PM

Zenophobe means someone who hates or is afraid of the god Zeus.  I don't think anyone has accused of him of that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Well, that one got one thing right--he is white.

Admiral Yi

dps, what do you think of my thesis that the Christian right is the one demographic who have most compromised their stated beliefs?

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2019, 10:35:49 PM
dps, what do you think of my thesis that the Christian right is the one demographic who have most compromised their stated beliefs?

I think it's more a matter of that they, as a group, have somehow deluded themselves that President Trump shares their beliefs, but as a practical matter, yes, I'd say your statement is largely accurate.

Razgovory

I think that "Christian" is becoming less of religious category and more of an ethnic one.  See "Cultural Christian".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on June 08, 2019, 06:42:39 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 08, 2019, 03:17:54 PM

Zenophobe means someone who hates or is afraid of the god Zeus.  I don't think anyone has accused of him of that.

No love for Zeno, this is a sad paradox. :(

Camerus

Quote from: dps on June 09, 2019, 02:46:21 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2019, 10:35:49 PM

I think it's more a matter of that they, as a group, have somehow deluded themselves that President Trump shares their beliefs, but as a practical matter, yes, I'd say your statement is largely accurate.

I think the non-deluded ones basically feel that, yes Trump is a hypocrite and immoral person, but at least he's not going to target them or threaten their religious liberty by judicial appointments or other means in the way that they believe a Democratic president would do.

I imagine some of the ostensibly deluded ones also recognize this calculus at some level, but basically spew bulshit to try and convince themselves and others that they're not making this tradeoff.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2019, 03:31:56 AM
I think that "Christian" is becoming less of religious category and more of an ethnic one.  See "Cultural Christian".

There is no such thing as a Cultural Christian.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on June 09, 2019, 08:19:41 PM

Oh?

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2019, 06:16:20 AM

Oh?

Indeed I've heard several people described themselves as culturally ..(a given religion) .

Don't one or two Languishites effectively describe that way with regard to being Jewish?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on June 10, 2019, 06:27:59 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2019, 06:16:20 AM

Oh?

Indeed I've heard several people described themselves as culturally ..(a given religion) .

Don't one or two Languishites effectively describe that way with regard to being Jewish?

I guess it already makes some sense and will increasingly do so all globalisation will (luckily) make people mingle on a global scale.

Culturally, my upbringing and the local culture I come from has a lot in common with other European local cultures, and the easiest to explain/express that is via the common roots in Christianity.

In a multicultural (in a global sense) environment, the cultural difference between somebody growing up in Germany or Hungary is neglibile compared to the difference between people from different world religion-dominated territories.

So, although I am very much an atheist, I'd be quite alright with being classified as culturally Christian, due to a lack of a better term.

derspiess

I think there may be something to that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall