News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Stein flirted with anti-vaxxing, yes. I would say that, in some ways, that's even worse than actually espousing the anti-vaxx line. An actual anti-vaxxer would just be ignored by a huge segment of the population, but someone who's "just asking questions" or "being skeptical" about vaccinations is going to chip away at support.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Job growth was greater than 5 million in the first two years of Obama's last term.  For the full term it was over 10 million.

Willing to bet that Trump doesn't get there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 19, 2019, 01:34:28 PM
Job growth was greater than 5 million in the first two years of Obama's last term.  For the full term it was over 10 million.

Willing to bet that Trump doesn't get there.

See Spicey? Green jobs!

Though, to be fair, Obama was coming in during a complete and total economic disaster so lots of room to grow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2019, 01:36:39 PM

Though, to be fair, Obama was coming in during a complete and total economic disaster so lots of room to grow.
And Trump will be leaving during a complete and total economic disaster. Really not a fair comparison.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on February 19, 2019, 02:07:56 PM

And Trump will be leaving during a complete and total economic disaster. Really not a fair comparison.

Hopefully not...but yeah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

That seems unlikely. Any wreck that comes is unlikely to be 2007-level bad.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Quote from: Habbaku on February 19, 2019, 02:19:42 PM

Quoted for posterity  :P

HVC

Huh, guess I was wrong. probably biased by the fact that when I head about outbreaks it seems like its from super liberal areas.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: Zoupa on February 19, 2019, 05:51:51 PM

Quoted for posterity  :P

What metrics are we using? Stock market? Unemployment? Nuclear obliteration of several American cities? I claim a tie in the event of that last one.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Well, 2007 wasn't that bad--the wreck didn't really happen until towards the end of 2008.  I think there's a good chance a mess as big as 2008 is coming, but my guess is that it doesn't hit until after the 2020 elections.

frunk

Quote from: dps on February 19, 2019, 08:20:06 PM

Well, 2007 wasn't that bad--the wreck didn't really happen until towards the end of 2008.  I think there's a good chance a mess as big as 2008 is coming, but my guess is that it doesn't hit until after the 2020 elections.

The exact timing most likely depends on how much more Trump is willing to ratchet up the tariffs, how much more debt Congress is willing to rack up to compensate and how well the rest of the world's economy is doing.

Habbaku

Quote from: dps on February 19, 2019, 08:20:06 PM

Well, 2007 wasn't that bad--the wreck didn't really happen until towards the end of 2008.

Thanks, Captain Pedantic.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Powell should ratchet up interest rates to 10% at the next FOMC meeting and start a recession just for the Trump lols
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

Aaaaaand Jussie is now a suspect. The #justiceforjussie hash tag has a whole new meaning now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall