News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on January 22, 2019, 07:31:30 PM
64-year old, not 80.  And apparently he wasn't in Nam FWIW.

Omg who the fuck cares  :lol:

FunkMonk

QuoteSarah Sanders says that WH has reached out to the Covington Catholic kids and invited them to the WH but any meeting would take place after the shutdown.

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1087861143240994816

YESSSSSS  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on January 22, 2019, 04:49:20 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 22, 2019, 11:00:38 AM

Looks like the Twitter account that popularized this video was likely "bad actor" trying to sow discord.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/tech/twitter-suspends-account-native-american-maga-teens/index.html

QuoteMolly McKew, an information warfare researcher who saw the tweet and shared it herself on Saturday, said she later realized that a network of anonymous accounts were working to amplify the video.

This moron is a self-styled 'information warfare expert' according to her twatter bio.  :frusty:

Hell yes  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

I found that article to be utter bullshit.

Oexmelin

Eddie Teach

I don't even buy the old man's narrative after seeing the first video. What I see is him drumming in a kid's face while the kid smiles awkwardly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 22, 2019, 11:52:23 PM
Why?

Because it's an exercise in sophistry to avoid blaming the BI's for starting all the shit and the Indians for amplifying the shit.  Yes, the original video does demonstrate that editing can change perception.  And the second, longer video corrects at least some of the flawed perception of the first video.

"The kids were originally accused of gross racism.  But it turns out the real story is so complex!  Can we ever know the truth?"

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2019, 12:28:56 AM
Because it's an exercise in sophistry to avoid blaming the BI's for starting all the shit and the Indians for amplifying the shit.  Yes, the original video does demonstrate that editing can change perception.  And the second, longer video corrects at least some of the flawed perception of the first video.

"The kids were originally accused of gross racism.  But it turns out the real story is so complex!  Can we ever know the truth?"

The point of the article is not to ascribe blame to anyone on the event (there's plenty of that out there, including on the Atlantic, if you are interested). The point is to reiterate that our hopes that "a" video, can ever stand for the fullness of truth is flawed. It is indeed a simple point, but still, it seems we continuously cling to the hope that video could eventually show reality unmediated, despite our living in an age of constant media production, and editing. Nowhere does he mention that truth is unknowable. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 23, 2019, 12:44:55 AM
The point of the article is not to ascribe blame to anyone on the event (there's plenty of that out there, including on the Atlantic, if you are interested). The point is to reiterate that our hopes that "a" video, can ever stand for the fullness of truth is flawed. It is indeed a simple point, but still, it seems we continuously cling to the hope that video could eventually show reality unmediated, despite our living in an age of constant media production, and editing. Nowhere does he mention that truth is unknowable.

That's what i said.  The point of the article is to avoid assigning blame.  The rest is window dressing.

Oexmelin

So the only reason to write about this is to assign blame?

Admiral Yi

Oexmelin

Then I don't understand your objection .

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2019, 04:38:35 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 22, 2019, 04:27:14 PM
I feel my smugness is perfectly justified :frog:

Hey I never said you shouldn't be a justified level of smug :frog:

But I remember a time when Le Pen lost by 60 points -_-

Stay vigilant!

Macron won with 66% vs Marine 34 %, with a lot of blank and null votes, not to mention a very high abstention for a run-off. Hardly a reason to feel smug.  Not to mention the current situation...

The Minsky Moment

I blame Moses.  He was a prophet and so should have had the foresight to copyright the Tanakh and put a stop to all the rip off imitations.  Had he done that, there would be no Christian students and certainly no fake "Hebrew Israelites".  All that would have been left is one native guy alone with his drum.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson