News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

My latest amusement comes from those that screech about how unified the media is against Trump as if that's some sure sign of collusion instead of a sign that Trump is truly awful enough to unify most journalistic outfits.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I get how a handful of people can say if everyone hates him he must be doing something right.  After all, this kind of thinking is not completely absent on the wacko left.  What I don't get is how 40% of my neighbors can think this way, or what other rationale they're using to continue supporting him.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

So we have a wacky ex-nanny,  Boys like her, so we still use her as an occasional baby-sitter.  We're a bit upset with her as she house-say for us when we went camping over the summer and the house was a total mess (I cleaned up pet feces from out bedroom).  She's talked about being on the autism spectrum before, and she's a lesbian.

She's changed her first name on FB a few times so I don't know what reasons.  So right now on FB she goes by the name of "Holden [her last name]".

But yesterday she posted a couple things about transgenderism - in particular an article on "how I survived my first year post-transition" with her comment "Boy I needed that!".  And I just realized that FB uses male pronouns for her.

How do you ask someone if they identify as transgender?  I mean with her(him?) almost nothing would shock me, and I certainly would never pry, but this FB stuff (we are FB friends) is out there for me to see...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Just ask the person how they would like to be addressed.  They will tell you the appropriate pronoun.

Eddie Teach

Some cisgendered people will be insulted by the question.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 28, 2018, 03:34:24 PM

There isn't much you can do if people are going to get upset at polite behavior.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2018, 03:36:36 PM

There isn't much you can do if people are going to get upset at polite behavior.

Would you find it polite if someone asked if you were a woman?  :huh:

I think bbs default position(don't pry) is generally best.

Barrister

I mean, that's one perspective.

But I can also tell you it's my personal practice to never, ever ask a woman if she is pregnant, no matter how far along, until they bring it up.

Question is - has my nanny "brought it up"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

"Btw, I noticed you changed your name on Facebook. Would you prefer we call you Holden from here on out?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 28, 2018, 03:40:07 PM

Would you find it polite if someone asked if you were a woman?  :huh:

I think bbs default position(don't pry) is generally best.

In what world is 'what pronouns do you prefer?' = 'are you a woman?'

Anyway, why would I be upset even if someone were to ask me if I was a woman. Do you think there is something wrong about being a woman?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2018, 03:40:31 PM

I mean, that's one perspective.

But I can also tell you it's my personal practice to never, ever ask a woman if she is pregnant, no matter how far along, until they bring it up.

Question is - has my nanny "brought it up"?

Okay, so yet another unrelated question. Are you pregnant (with the risk the person is just fat) is not the same type of question.