And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2018, 12:50:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 17, 2018, 12:00:02 PM
How many coaches in competitive NCAA programs do the same?

Quite a few do, I think.  Some players choose to listen, and many do not.

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2018, 12:51:58 PM
At Texas we have a pretty big infrastructure, along with many employees, devoted to getting our athletes to complete their degrees and make our AD academic stats look good by getting good grades. I presume all similarly sized programs have similar things.

That is good to know  :)

Tonitrus

At Texas we have a pretty big infrastructure, along with many employees, devoted to getting our athletes to complete their degrees and make our AD academic stats look good by getting good grades. I presume all similarly sized programs have similar things.

And how honest is it?   :P

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 17, 2018, 02:00:22 PM

I suspect it depends on the sport. How much motivation is there to be crooked for the swim team?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2018, 11:23:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2018, 10:10:10 AM
Remember Bengals Running Back James Brooks?

Of course, local legend.

QuoteDude was illiterate and somehow had a degree from Auburn...I am sure there are less successful examples of that sort of thing.

Yep.  That was kind of a different time, though.  Not as much scrutiny as we have these days.

Plus, I mean, you know, Auburn.  I suspect many non-athlete graduates from there are illiterate.

:)

grumbler

I am a bit mystified as to why it is a bad thing to tell prospective pro athletes that the best way to get the coaching they need to succeed in turning their potential into performance, and to broaden their horizons even if they don't have pro abilities or desire, is playing for a university.   It gives them an incentive to do well in high school so as to maintain academic eligibility, and universities give them the exposure, the athletic coaching, the academic coaching, and the exposure to high-level peers and mentors that they just won't get from the minor leagues, the CFL, or overseas teams.  That all seems good.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 17, 2018, 02:00:22 PM

It is as honest as the coaches make it, so, generally, pretty honest.  You'll have your occasional UNC, but widespread cheating is so hard to keep secret that I'm sure the vast majority of caches steer clear of it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2018, 08:17:22 AM
I am a bit mystified as to why it is a bad thing to tell prospective pro athletes that the best way to get the coaching they need to succeed in turning their potential into performance, and to broaden their horizons even if they don't have pro abilities or desire, is playing for a university.   It gives them an incentive to do well in high school so as to maintain academic eligibility, and universities give them the exposure, the athletic coaching, the academic coaching, and the exposure to high-level peers and mentors that they just won't get from the minor leagues, the CFL, or overseas teams.  That all seems good.

Just this one quibble - the CFL does not hire football players that haven't finished their college eligibility.  I can't say for sure that's a league mandated rule (although I think it is, but I'm not an expert on the CFL CBA), but I have never, ever heard of an 18-20 year old being hired into the CFL.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2018, 09:57:48 AM
Just this one quibble - the CFL does not hire football players that haven't finished their college eligibility.  I can't say for sure that's a league mandated rule (although I think it is, but I'm not an expert on the CFL CBA), but I have never, ever heard of an 18-20 year old being hired into the CFL.

Players are eligible to be drafted until after college eligibility, but only Canadian players are drafted.  So, you are quite correct for Canadian student-athletes.

I am told that there are no age restrictions for free agents (which all US players in the CFL are) and can't find any such limits.  Of course, no team would actually hire a player right out of high school when there are plenty of potential players who have gotten college coaching, diet, weight room, etc.

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

So I created a meme that is a distorting strawman?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Video: https://www.facebook.com/DerrickQLewis/videos/1099450576873007/

QuoteBlack Man Shares Support for Confederate Flag and Monuments

"It's something that should be embraced by black folks." This man stood next to the old #SilentSam site with a confederate flag. He explained why confederate soldiers are his heroes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2018, 03:09:23 AM
The spokesman for the community.

Pretty sure he is speaking for the Black Confederate community :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy