News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I always just took mercantalism to mean the belief in there being a finite amount of wealth and ensuring your control over the biggest slice. Not really considering that more wealth could be created.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on June 21, 2022, 04:06:59 PMI always just took mercantalism to mean the belief in there being a finite amount of wealth  . . . Not really considering that more wealth could be created.

That's probably closer to the physiocratic view, which was the original anti-mercantalist position.  The physiocrats believed that agriculture was the sole source of wealth and thus wealth could only be created by putting more land under the plow or improving farming techniques.

It would be closer to say that mercantilism is the belief that there is a finite amount of money that exists at any given time, along with an understanding that a dynamic commercial economy requires sufficient access to money to facilitate trade.  It is an early modern understanding of what we would understand as the need to balance money supply with money demand, but in a proto-capitalist context where most adults were still engaged in subsistence agriculture and economic relations were only monetized to a limited extent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

He might have been confusing the UK with all of Europe when it comes to weather ;) :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Gas station coffee is getting pretty damn good.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2022, 06:16:48 PM

He might have been confusing the UK with all of Europe when it comes to weather ;) :P

Or everywhere that's not Iberia/Italy/Greece. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 28, 2022, 08:23:29 PMOr everywhere that's not Iberia/Italy/Greece. :contract:

Well to be fair the weather in an incredibly large part of America is pretty shitty. We have deserts and other places with brutal brutal winters (and if you live in a place like Oklahoma you get those along with brutal summers...and tornadoes).

So you could say the same, it sucks shit except for California and Florida and so forth.

Anyway why was that guy's twitter thing scratched out? Not exactly radical takes there. Or is that just Saagar from Breaking Points? He has his picture there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

On most of it I disagree but a discussion can be had.
But European food worse than American? 😂
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Ok, that post is just a weak ass troll, desperately trying to push buttons.

Though I don't doubt people like that exist out in the wild.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

The UK has great weather I tell you  :showoff:

HVC

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 29, 2022, 01:54:48 AMThe UK has great weather I tell you  :showoff:

Huh, I guess Stockholm syndrome works on the national level too.

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2022, 02:00:52 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 29, 2022, 01:54:48 AMThe UK has great weather I tell you  :showoff:

Huh, I guess Stockholm syndrome works on the national level too.

:P

You don't like wearing layers in summer?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josquius on June 29, 2022, 01:34:04 AMOn most of it I disagree but a discussion can be had.
But European food worse than American? 😂

We both have the same stuff.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

That guy was clearly and blatantly trolling. In another post he said that the UK was the only place in Europe where you could get a decent meal, or somesuch. Obviously trying to push people's buttons.