Gun control in the US: what can be done?

Started by viper37, December 06, 2015, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

[Singing]
My whole family are gunless twats
Most of my friends are gunless twats
Many of my neighbors are gunless twats
I'm living in a gunless twat world!
[/Singing]

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2015, 01:16:29 AM
Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2015, 11:00:33 PM
I say, let's make it public so I can know who's a gunless twat who wants their house burglarized.

I don't have a gun Scipio.

At least now I know who to send the cops after once you rob me. Just a warning though my stuff is neither easily portable nor particularly valuable.

Maybe one is only a twat if they live in MS without a gun? Though I think I'd want to have my own personal army before I'd move to MS.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Call me a transphobe if you must, but I prefer twats to be gunless.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't constitutional rights then refined by national and state law? Because every person here has the right to bear arms in their own country. But only certain types of weapons and only after a rigorous screening process. 

In the UK we did have a mass killing; the Dunblane school massacre in 1996. We banned effectively banned handguns afterwards. There has been one spree killing since; the Cumbria shootings in June 2010, which were carried out with a shotgun.

I'm not sure if it was ever relaxed for sport, but the ban on handguns was so stringent even the Team GB Olympic pistol team had to go to Zurich to practice ahead of the 2012 games.

Admiral Yi

The Supreme Court's history is replete with examples of fucking state law in the ass: Civil Rights, abortion, capital punishment.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2015, 03:26:39 PM
The Supreme Court's history is replete with examples of fucking state law in the ass: Civil Rights, abortion, capital punishment.

Sometimes state law deserves it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2015, 03:36:05 PM
Sometimes state law deserves it.

Absolutely.  I was responding to Brazen's question about the relationship between the Constitution and state law.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Brazen on December 08, 2015, 05:26:54 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't constitutional rights then refined by national and state law? Because every person here has the right to bear arms in their own country. But only certain types of weapons and only after a rigorous screening process. 

In the UK we did have a mass killing; the Dunblane school massacre in 1996. We banned effectively banned handguns afterwards. There has been one spree killing since; the Cumbria shootings in June 2010, which were carried out with a shotgun.

I'm not sure if it was ever relaxed for sport, but the ban on handguns was so stringent even the Team GB Olympic pistol team had to go to Zurich to practice ahead of the 2012 games.

You guys just had one a few days ago. With a knife.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Brazen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 08, 2015, 04:48:15 PM
You guys just had one a few days ago. With a knife.
"One" what? Are you talking about Leytonstone? One nutcase with a craft knife that doesn't even register as a weapon (though you do have to show ID to buy one). It wasn't even a killing, let alone a mass killing, no-one died. And it's only speculation that it was terror related as people who knew the perpetrator say he had a history of mental health issues.

garbon

Some might say mental health issues don't preclude you from being a terrorist...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2015, 09:37:17 PM
Force them to register the weapons with the government.  Make the database public like we have with sex offenders.

Wouldn't that make very easy for criminals to procure weapons?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Iormlund on December 08, 2015, 06:27:49 PM
Force them to register the weapons with the government.  Make the database public like we have with sex offenders.

It would make millions of people instant criminals. So in a sense, yes.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on December 08, 2015, 06:27:49 PM

Uh, why would it do that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Well it seems a great way to pinpoint which homes to hit if you are interested in using or selling weapons.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Iormlund on December 08, 2015, 07:19:52 PM
Well it seems a great way to pinpoint which homes to hit if you are interested in using or selling weapons.

Public databases are always a terrible idea. They're so convenient for people with grudges, and they aren't made for the kind of people who don't tend to be subject to grudges. Felons, sex offenders, gun owners, cops, judges, political contributors, prosecutors, legislators, gays, teachers, whatever. Put them on a list and there will be somebody who will use it for evil.