Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 12:57:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2015, 12:45:32 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 12:40:17 PM

Agreed, lame. Same old stuff, nothing new about ISIS or going after terrorism. Fine that he talks about we shouldn't be going after Muslims in the US, but there really hasn't been any serious attacks on Muslims. He spent the most of it, some 30 percent, on guns and whatever else he doesn't like about what Americans are doing. Not enough on terrorism and nothing new.

And what "new stuff" should be said?

He's the President, he needs to figure out what will work. We were just hit with a terrorist attack and he goes on like his policy is working. For example, ISIS has been telling people that they don't have to come to the Mid East to join the fight, that they can make attacks where they are. Also social media, the propaganda war and other venues are likely places that can be beefed up. He could have talked about making changes there. Things like that for starters.

If this is the best ISIS can do because of the work the federal government is doing to stop these kinds of attacks, there really isn't anything different he needs to do - whatever he is doing is working wonderfully well.

The idea that there is ANYTHING a President could do to stop people already here from going out and getting a bunch of NRA protected assault rifles and shooting some place up is idiotic. From a policy standpoint, the only lever here to pull is making it harder for crazy people (whether they are motivated by religion, ideology, or anger at a missed promotion) from shooting a bunch of people is addressing the gun violence problem itself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

I agree with Berkut here.  Unless the US radically changes its way of life (and that may not be all good), there is not much that can be done to prevent someone already in the country, even if suspected of radicalism, from legally buying a weapon and shooting lots of people.

Just because he's a pro-ISIS muslim does not change the fact that these kind of attacks happen every week in the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

The biggest change the US could make, and could justify based on recent events, is a change to its attitude towards those who fund ISIS.  Clearly, the husband and wife were being funded by someone to acquire all of that weaponry and explosive-making gear, so the US should go after anyone it thinks is funding ISIS or cooperating with ISIS regarding smuggling et al.  If that pisses off some people*, good.  The abettors of terrorism should be pissed off. All the time.

*Mostly Turks, but also Gulf Arabs and Saudis - all excellent targets for a pissing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

The obvious solution is to make it mandatory for every American citizen over the age of 18 to carry a gun at all times. Only way to have a chance to stop every mass shooting.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2015, 02:23:22 PM

Agreed, lame. Same old stuff, nothing new about ISIS or going after terrorism. Fine that he talks about we shouldn't be going after Muslims in the US, but there really hasn't been any serious attacks on Muslims. He spent the most of it, some 30 percent, on guns and whatever else he doesn't like about what Americans are doing. Not enough on terrorism and nothing new.

He's the President, he needs to figure out what will work. We were just hit with a terrorist attack and he goes on like his policy is working. For example, ISIS has been telling people that they don't have to come to the Mid East to join the fight, that they can make attacks where they are. Also social media, the propaganda war and other venues are likely places that can be beefed up. He could have talked about making changes there. Things like that for starters.

So two people shoot and kill 14 people and we need a to upend our terrorism strategy.  Three years ago one guy shoots and kills 20 people and nothing should happen?

Do you really think efforts have been going so well that the President couldn't have spoken about ramped up efforts in what was billed as a very important speech? As I said in another post, there have been a lot more than these two incidents! More attacks, like Boston Marathon bombing, recruiting station shooting, and other attacks. Many attacks foiled and more and more arrests made, FBI has too many cases to follow in the US, as I said before. Plus ISIS encouraging or sending people to the west to do attacks. Encouraging people to make attacks at home, no need to travel there. So yeah, the issue has really grown over the past year or so.

mongers

Well it doesn't really seem like yesterday's stabbing in the East London tube station was terrorism, much better categorised as a mental health originated attack, given what the family has described.

And the Met police have just confirmed concerned relatives phoned the police within the last few weeks because of their worries about his state of mind, seeing devils and other hallucinations. They were then directed towards the appropriate social service.

Interesting his brother, who seems to have be his major career reported much of his condition seems linked to sustained cannabis use.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2015, 03:13:23 PM
The biggest change the US could make, and could justify based on recent events, is a change to its attitude towards those who fund ISIS.  Clearly, the husband and wife were being funded by someone to acquire all of that weaponry and explosive-making gear, so the US should go after anyone it thinks is funding ISIS or cooperating with ISIS regarding smuggling et al.  If that pisses off some people*, good.  The abettors of terrorism should be pissed off. All the time.

*Mostly Turks, but also Gulf Arabs and Saudis - all excellent targets for a pissing.

You want us to attack a county health inspectors' office? :huh:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 03:14:52 PM

Do you really think efforts have been going so well that the President couldn't have spoken about ramped up efforts in what was billed as a very important speech? As I said in another post, there have been a lot more than these two incidents! More attacks, like Boston Marathon bombing, recruiting station shooting, and other attacks. Many attacks foiled and more and more arrests made, FBI has too many cases to follow in the US, as I said before. Plus ISIS encouraging or sending people to the west to do attacks. Encouraging people to make attacks at home, no need to travel there. So yeah, the issue has really grown over the past year or so.

Depends on what the generic "ramped up efforts" actually means.  The successful attacks were done by one or two people with no outside help.  Those are pretty difficult to stop.  If you have any ideas how to do that, please share them from the class.  Now imagine for a moment that the attack was carried out by a husband and wife team with no religious or political motive (like the hundreds of attacks that have occurred this year)  It would still be materially the same attack.  Would you still demand "ramped up efforts"?  If so how?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 03:14:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2015, 02:23:22 PM

So two people shoot and kill 14 people and we need a to upend our terrorism strategy.  Three years ago one guy shoots and kills 20 people and nothing should happen?

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2015, 02:25:43 PM

If this is the best ISIS can do because of the work the federal government is doing to stop these kinds of attacks, there really isn't anything different he needs to do - whatever he is doing is working wonderfully well.

Agree with this, though that also leads me to agree with Yi that there's not much point in making a major Presidential speech about it.

Syt

Ever since the shooting I have Christie's song stuck in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAAqAho_BsU
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 12:45:11 PM

Then the lawyers for the terrorists made a long TV appearance. They were a couple of lamers, making excuses, finding blame where ever. But of course they'll do that for their clients but they were mainly just disingenuous to the point of pissing off people.

Which terrorists are you talking about, because the two that attacked San Bernardino are dead and the dead usually don't get lawyers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 08, 2015, 06:28:59 AM
Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 12:45:11 PM

Then the lawyers for the terrorists made a long TV appearance. They were a couple of lamers, making excuses, finding blame where ever. But of course they'll do that for their clients but they were mainly just disingenuous to the point of pissing off people.

Which terrorists are you talking about, because the two that attacked San Bernardino are dead and the dead usually don't get lawyers.

I think they're lawyers hired by some of the family.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 14, 2015, 05:00:47 PM
Trying to watch my language these days, but what the fucking fuck??

http://abcnews.go.com/US/secret-us-policy-blocks-agents-social-media-visa/story?id=35749325

Huh. So in order to prevent a backlash they did not reform a secret policy? Seems weird.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I have no idea where the balance is between safety and intrusiveness.  But I know enough to know that there is one, and that saying "fucking fuck" instinctively isn't instrumental in judging whether you're on the right side.  It's especially hard to hit that balance right because single-celled organisms and political opponents of the administration will go "fucking fuck" when it goes wrong one way, but when it goes wrong the other way it will be unobservable.