And we're back!

Main Menu

4x Space games?

Started by HisMajestyBOB, June 27, 2009, 07:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 27, 2009, 11:39:20 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 27, 2009, 07:05:29 AM
So Sword of the Stars complete is $15 bucks on Gamersgate - that's all of the expansions to date, I think. I've been looking for a decent 4x space game to replace SEIV for a while - is SotS worth $15? I'm not expecting much, just a somewhat decent AI (defined as: better than SEIV's), some customizibility on spaceship design, notable differences between factions, and a not-crap UI.

Note that, I don't believe this "complete" version includes the very latest expansion that is coming out (or just came out, not sure).

It comes with a Argos Naval Yard expansion, which is marked as New; is that the one to which you were referring?

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SOTSCC/sword-of-the-stars-complete-collection-bundle

Tonitrus

Quote from: sbr on June 27, 2009, 12:21:59 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 27, 2009, 11:39:20 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 27, 2009, 07:05:29 AM
So Sword of the Stars complete is $15 bucks on Gamersgate - that's all of the expansions to date, I think. I've been looking for a decent 4x space game to replace SEIV for a while - is SotS worth $15? I'm not expecting much, just a somewhat decent AI (defined as: better than SEIV's), some customizibility on spaceship design, notable differences between factions, and a not-crap UI.

Note that, I don't believe this "complete" version includes the very latest expansion that is coming out (or just came out, not sure).

It comes with a Argos Naval Yard expansion, which is marked as New; is that the one to which you were referring?

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SOTSCC/sword-of-the-stars-complete-collection-bundle

I think that's it.  Hmm, thought I saw that it was not (as I was looking into getting this myself). 

I may reconsider my, so far, negative decision.  ;)

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

I tried both the SotS demo and the GalCiv2 demo, and I think the latter is what I'm looking for. I'll play around with it a little more before buying it, though, because it's $35.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

sbr

What are the 4 X's?

Explore, Exploit, Expand, ... ?

Tamas

Quote from: sbr on June 28, 2009, 01:10:21 AM
What are the 4 X's?

Explore, Exploit, Expand, ... ?

Exterminate

Syt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 27, 2009, 08:41:16 PM
I'll play around with it a little more before buying it, though, because it's $35.

Make sure you get the "ultimate" collection or whatever it's called - the vanilla game is fine in itself, but the add ons add so much more.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Is is really very sad that in all this time, nothing has come along to match Masters Of Orion II, which is now what, 40 years old?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on July 10, 2009, 03:36:27 PM
Is is really very sad that in all this time, nothing has come along to match Masters Of Orion II, which is now what, 40 years old?

Yes, although I always liked Master of Orion (1993) better than the sequel (1996) due to the reduced micromanagement.

Tonitrus

Console killed the turn-based strategy star.