News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

4x Space games?

Started by HisMajestyBOB, June 27, 2009, 07:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

So Sword of the Stars complete is $15 bucks on Gamersgate - that's all of the expansions to date, I think. I've been looking for a decent 4x space game to replace SEIV for a while - is SotS worth $15? I'm not expecting much, just a somewhat decent AI (defined as: better than SEIV's), some customizibility on spaceship design, notable differences between factions, and a not-crap UI.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Tamas

I think Sword of the Stars could be REALLY good, if it did not have the most annoying and unpractical maps ever created on this side of the milky way

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2009, 07:17:43 AM
I think Sword of the Stars could be REALLY good, if it did not have the most annoying and unpractical maps ever created on this side of the milky way

Bingo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2009, 07:08:18 AM

Don't care much for multiplayer-only games, except FPS, much less MMO games.

Quote from: TamasI think Sword of the Stars could be REALLY good, if it did not have the most annoying and unpractical maps ever created on this side of the milky way

Yeah, I saw some posts by Monkeybutt about how annoying the map is. Just how bad is it?

Tamas

DisturbedPervert

GalCiv 2 Ultimate Edition

Tamas

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 27, 2009, 07:24:17 AM

:yawn: micro management hell from middle-game on any mapsize otherwise worth playing

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2009, 07:25:01 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 27, 2009, 07:24:17 AM

:yawn: micro management hell from middle-game on any mapsize otherwise worth playing

SO PLAY WITH LESS PLANETS
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

Started the SotS demo. Didn't take long for the interface to annoy me - I'm in the research screen, how the hell do I rotate the "research wheel" or whatever so that I can look at all the techs? All I can seem to do is double-click a tech, which rotates the wheel part-way, double click again to unzoom from the tech, then double-click on another tech to check it out.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 27, 2009, 07:43:09 AM
Started the SotS demo. Didn't take long for the interface to annoy me - I'm in the research screen, how the hell do I rotate the "research wheel" or whatever so that I can look at all the techs? All I can seem to do is double-click a tech, which rotates the wheel part-way, double click again to unzoom from the tech, then double-click on another tech to check it out.

Right-click and drag.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 27, 2009, 07:05:29 AM
So Sword of the Stars complete is $15 bucks on Gamersgate - that's all of the expansions to date, I think. I've been looking for a decent 4x space game to replace SEIV for a while - is SotS worth $15? I'm not expecting much, just a somewhat decent AI (defined as: better than SEIV's), some customizibility on spaceship design, notable differences between factions, and a not-crap UI.

Good deal, but I already bought SotS Ultimate (all except the latest mini-expansion) on that sale offered a couple weeks ago for $7.99.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2009, 07:17:43 AM

It is a little bit annoying, but not that bad once you get used to it.

Ed Anger

Annother annoyance is some of the Random events. I forgot to turn them off in one game, and after I had my empire set up, something called the "VN Berserker" showed up over one of my good systems. Since I was using that system to assemble a force to attack the AI, I thought this will be easy.

I lost most of my Tarkan armored cruisers and strike destroyers and it wrecked the planet. Game basically over.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 27, 2009, 07:05:29 AM

Note that, I don't believe this "complete" version includes the very latest expansion that is coming out (or just came out, not sure).