Spain ‘issues arrest warrant’ for Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu

Started by jimmy olsen, November 25, 2015, 10:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spain-issues-arrest-warrant-for-israeli-prime-minister-benjamin-netanyahu-over-2010-gaza-flotilla-a6736436.html

QuoteSpain 'issues arrest warrant' for Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu over 2010 Gaza flotilla attack

'We consider it to be a provocation. We are working with the Spanish authorities to get it cancelled' 
Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith |
Wednesday 18 November 2015|

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and seven other former and current government officials are at risk of arrest if they set foot in Spain, after a Spanish judge effectively issued an arrest warrant for the group, it has been reported.

According to the Latin American Herald Tribune, Spanish national court judge Jose de la Mata ordered the police and civil guard to notify him if Mr Netanyahu and the six other individuals enter the country, as their actions could see a case against them regarding the Freedom Flotilla attack of 2010 reopened.

The other men named in the issue are former defence minister Ehud Barak, former foreign minister Avigdor Leiberman, former minister of strategic affairs Moshe Yaalon, former interior minister Eli Yishai, minister without portfolio Benny Begin and vice admiral maron Eliezer, who was in charge of the operation.

The case – which was put on hold by Judge de la Mata last year – was brought against the men following an attack by Israeli security forces against the Freedom Flotilla aid ships in 2010, which was trying to reach Gaza.

It concerns the Mavi Marmara ship, the main civilian vessel in a fleet of six that were attempting to break an Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip. The six ships were carrying around 500 passengers, humanitarian aid and construction materials. The Israeli Defence Force stormed the ship in a raid that left nine human rights activists dead. A tenth activist died later that month due to wounds sustained in the raid.

The Israeli Prime Minister and other officials now face charges in the case, should it be reopened.

An Israeli foreign ministry spokesperson Emmanuel Nachshon told the Jerusalem Post: "We consider it to be a provocation. We are working with the Spanish authorities to get it cancelled. We hope it will be over soon."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

Duque de Bragança

Netanyahu is no Marrano, no crypto-Jew, so the Inquisition cannot be involved.  :contract:

Savonarola

Felipe VI is one of the claimants to the throne of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.   :hmm:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on November 26, 2015, 08:39:43 AM
Felipe VI is one of the claimants to the throne of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.   :hmm:

It all makes sense! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

There's no such "arrest warrant". The Freedom Flotilla case has been dismissed since we have no jurisdiction, and the only way that can change - according to our laws - is if one of the named as defendants sets foot on Spanish soil. That's what's going on here.

I find it funny that this Israeli spokesperson somehow wants us to stomp over our judiciary though. Separation of powers and all that.