Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Meanwhile there's a small and persistent chorus of people saying the disaster shouldn't be politicized (same people who call climate change predictions "fear mongering" on disaster-free days), there's always been floods, it just looks worse because we measure more, etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Syt

Also, this guy:

https://twitter.com/postillleaks/status/1415915026645504000?s=20

Translation of his comments at the start basically: "Whoa, what a disaster! White water rafting"
When he spots the white car in front of him: "LOL he's floating! He's just floating there! ROFL!"
*keeps driving*
"Oh no, I'm floating too! I fucked up! I fucked up big time!"

I'm partially wondering what he thought would happen when he sees a guy floating with his car in front of him, and keeps driving towards him. :bleeding:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2021, 05:26:02 AM
Also, this guy:

https://twitter.com/postillleaks/status/1415915026645504000?s=20

Translation of his comments at the start basically: "Whoa, what a disaster! White water rafting"
When he spots the white car in front of him: "LOL he's floating! He's just floating there! ROFL!"
*keeps driving*
"Oh no, I'm floating too! I fucked up! I fucked up big time!"

I'm partially wondering what he thought would happen when he sees a guy floating with his car in front of him, and keeps driving towards him. :bleeding:
He thought that the candy ass was faking it and he was an alpha male who wouldn't even notice obstacles.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2021, 04:42:03 AM
What's likely not helping is that Germany has decades of of straightening rivers and creeks (sometimes putting them in concrete beds), building on flood land etc. which obviously exacerbates weather events like this.
There's a similar thing that always happens with floods here - they are normally made worse due to reductions in the amount of river-dredging to stop rivers becoming too narrow and rapid which makes flash flood more likely.

And I'm sure it is part of the problem, but in the context of a global climate emergency it feels like a relatively small detail that some people choose to fixate on to avoid looking at climate.

Really devastating pictures - it'll take a long time for those communities :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2021, 11:26:22 PM
[
Lots of evacuations here and lots of flooding, but we seem to escape the worst of it.

Retracted. Reports now of a breach and imminent dike collapse.
I thought we had our shit together for once.  :rolleyes:

Zanza

A home for intellectually disabled persons was flash-flooded at night and the water level rose to the ceiling within a minute. Twelve inhabitants drowned just there as the nightguards could not evacuate them fast enough.  :(

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on July 16, 2021, 10:00:05 AM
A home for intellectually disabled persons was flash-flooded at night and the water level rose to the ceiling within a minute. Twelve inhabitants drowned just there as the nightguards could not evacuate them fast enough.  :(

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Oh no  :(

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Read about it this morning; this stuff is heartbreaking. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould