Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Considering that a countrywide majority of opinion doesn't necessarily translate into parliamentary majorities, the numbers need to be significantly higher to have any significant effect.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on November 01, 2019, 04:49:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2019, 02:42:41 AM
Well half or more than half of people in nearly all states and provinces agree.

43% of Americans don't think humans cause climate change, and it is upwards of a third even in the most progressive states. It's bleak as hell.

I'd wager many people don't really have an opinion.

Also, California is among the most progressive of states but approximately a quarter of the voting population register as republicans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

I keep cheerleading for geoengineering, but everyone hates it:
1. The climate deniers because either the climate isn't changing, or because warming is good.
2. The climate change activists, because self-denial and sacrifice are morally more important than actually fixing the problem.

Richard Hakluyt

There will not be a political solution for sure; our only hope is technology.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 01, 2019, 05:48:22 AM
There will not be a political solution for sure; our only hope is technology.

Of course, but politics has to pull the trigger on the technology. I've seen climate hysterics argue that any discussion of geoengineering is treason to the cause. It's *people* who must change.

Richard Hakluyt

Support for geoengineering may rise as the destruction caused by climate change becomes more visible. People can lower their most egregious CO2 emissions but not many will want to leave the 21st century. A certain intellectual honesty is required though; so I'm not hopeful.

Tamas

I guess most people will always lean toward the path of least resistance in life, in anything. With climate change, that is -presently- to deny or brush it off.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

43% of Americans don't think humans cause climate change, and it is upwards of a third even in the most progressive states. It's bleak as hell.

Not answering "Yes" is not the same as answering "No".

garbon

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 01, 2019, 07:52:08 AM

Not answering "Yes" is not the same as answering "No".

Here apparently is the source information, blurb from what looks to be map author on reddit:

QuoteThese are the two most comparable polls on the subject I can find, but the wording of the question was not precisely the same. Canadians were asked to respond to: "Climate change is a fact and is mostly caused by emissions from vehicles and industrial facilities". Americans were asked to respond to "global warming is mostly caused by human activities". Question phrasing may bias results.

Canadian data: http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018.1129_ClimateBeliefReleaseTables.pdf

American data: https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/visualizations-data/ycom-us/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 01, 2019, 05:47:16 AM
I keep cheerleading for geoengineering, but everyone hates it:
1. The climate deniers because either the climate isn't changing, or because warming is good.
2. The climate change activists, because self-denial and sacrifice are morally more important than actually fixing the problem.

What kind of measures are you thinking about?

garbon

https://environment.yale.edu/ycom/factsheets/MapPage/2017Partisan/?est=happening&group=rep&type=value&geo=national

https://environment.yale.edu/ycom/factsheets/MapPage/2018Partisan/?est=happening&group=rep&type=value&geo=national

Found these two which given you thoughts on global warming split by political registration.

They appear to show the following, demonstrating that Republicans are very much a problem.

31% Repubs thought caused by man in 2016 vs. 35% in 2018
65% Dems thought caused by man in 2016 vs. 79% in 2018

82% Dems thought global warming was happening vs 91% in 2018
50% Repubs thought global warming was happening vs 52% in 2018

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 01, 2019, 05:47:16 AM

No, if self-denial and sacrifice are required it will never be fixed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Odd binary world you are perceiving Hami

I don't know anyone advocating self denial at the expense of fixing the problem.