Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

From Bolsonaro's foreign policy advisor: « He added: "If you are wondering who is going to save the Amazon, here's a very straightforward answer for you: It's not the empty, hysterical and misleading rhetoric of the mainstream media, transnational bureaucrats and NGOs."

It's the same rhetoric everywhere now.
Que le grand cric me croque !

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2019, 08:27:31 AM
The salmon run this year was anticipated to be 5 million that has now been downgraded to 600,000

One of the main reasons identified in a report which made the reduced estimate is the significant warming of the ocean.

"An unprecedented heatwave, nicknamed "The Blob", dominated the Northeast Pacific Ocean from 2013-2016 (Figure 2). This ocean warming contributed to physical and biological changes, some of which continue to persist. Sea-surface-temperatures (SST) during the heatwave were 3-5°C above seasonal averages, extending down to depths of 100 m (Bond et al. 2015, Ross and Robert 2018, Smale et al. 2019). Climate modeling has shown that this heatwave can best be explained by human- caused warming (Walsh et al. 2018)."

Source?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 23, 2019, 09:54:37 AM
From Bolsonaro's foreign policy advisor: « He added: "If you are wondering who is going to save the Amazon, here's a very straightforward answer for you: It's not the empty, hysterical and misleading rhetoric of the mainstream media, transnational bureaucrats and NGOs."

It's the same rhetoric everywhere now.

It isn't surprising that there is a pretty large chunk of the people in power and with wealth whose basic attitude towards climate change and human caused climate destruction is "I don't fucking care because I got mine".

What is really distressing is that those people have largely managed to throw this fig leaf of deniability over themselves, and then get a huge number of other people to support them. It's kind of baffling to me.

0 rows returned

Zoupa

Well, most people are stupid. I'm pretty sure we're doomed.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2019, 12:21:37 PM
The salmon run this year was anticipated to be 5 million that has now been downgraded to 600,000

One of the main reasons identified in a report which made the reduced estimate is the significant warming of the ocean.

"An unprecedented heatwave, nicknamed "The Blob", dominated the Northeast Pacific Ocean from 2013-2016 (Figure 2). This ocean warming contributed to physical and biological changes, some of which continue to persist. Sea-surface-temperatures (SST) during the heatwave were 3-5°C above seasonal averages, extending down to depths of 100 m (Bond et al. 2015, Ross and Robert 2018, Smale et al. 2019). Climate modeling has shown that this heatwave can best be explained by human- caused warming (Walsh et al. 2018)."

Source?

https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/40807071.pdf

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2019, 12:36:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2019, 12:21:37 PM

Source?

https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/40807071.pdf

Thanks.

We need more of this....I think.

More concrete examples of actual bad outcomes.

Of course, this is a trailing indicator, which isn't ideal when it comes to a problem that has to do with, oh I don't know, massive damage to the environment.

But still, some actual measureable and tangible fucked up eco systems.

Or hell, who am I kidding? If you can convince yourself that the entire planetary climate science establishment is engaged in a giant conspiracy to fake climate change, you can convince yourself that a 90% decline in salmon is either a lie, or due to something beyond our control anyway.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Probably too many bears. We need anti-bear squads.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

There was report I heard about salmon in a river in Alaska that were showing up dead with no obvious signs of injury or disease.  The best guess is that it might be temperature related.  One of the fisherman was remarkably unconcerned, saying something to the effect that Salmon are hardy and that they'll be fine.  The fact that they are hardy and still dying is why you should be worried. 

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2019, 01:28:09 PM
Or hell, who am I kidding? If you can convince yourself that the entire planetary climate science establishment is engaged in a giant conspiracy to fake climate change, you can convince yourself that a 90% decline in salmon is either a lie, or due to something beyond our control anyway.

Precisely.

The crisis of evidence is not about the lack of it. It's a crisis of meaning and trust. What does the evidence mean, and who gets to ascribe that meaning. As far as I can tell, you can't fight that with more evidence. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 23, 2019, 05:24:52 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2019, 01:28:09 PM

Precisely.

The crisis of evidence is not about the lack of it. It's a crisis of meaning and trust. What does the evidence mean, and who gets to ascribe that meaning. As far as I can tell, you can't fight that with more evidence.

I'm gonna quote you in my government class this fall.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2019, 05:38:21 PM
I'm gonna quote you in my government class this fall.

When you get quoted by someone who witnessed the collapse of the Bronze Age Civilizations, you have made it
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Serious question:  Why were we able to address ozone depletion in the 1980's, but not climate change now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2019, 06:57:26 PM
Serious question:  Why were we able to address ozone depletion in the 1980's, but not climate change now?

Because the technology already existed and the cost was not prohibitive.