Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2019, 02:16:04 PM
that is double talk Viper.  We are already experiencing species extinction at alarming rates and we have not even got to 1.5 yet.  Both on land and in the oceans.

We've been experiencing species extinction at alarming rates for the last 10,000 years.  The question is what sort of extinction level crisis are we going to experiencing.  Is it a E-O level extinction or P-T level extinction?

The rapid decline in insect levels over the last 20 years may be a sign of Permian-Triassic event.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2019, 02:16:04 PM
that is double talk Viper.  We are already experiencing species extinction at alarming rates and we have not even got to 1.5 yet.  Both on land and in the oceans. 
but that is not solely due to global warming.  Deforestation increases global warming, and this is the most threatening aspect to many life forms, but it is not global warming causing the death of so many species.  Acidification of the oceans is caused mainly by global warming though, but global warming does not cause whale hunting, or whales colliding with ships.  Plastic in the oceans is not a cause of global warming, nor is any kind of pollution rejected in the atmosphere and the oceans.  The use of pesticides has nothing to do with global warming, but it is creating problems for insect populations and the birds who feed on them.  Modern agricultural practices that leaves fewer parts of fields left "vacant" for months also decreases the number of birds that used to inhabit these fields.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 28, 2019, 03:18:07 PM
Sounds pretty serious. Maybe we should stop flying planes halfway around the world for fun.

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2019, 04:16:35 PM
  Modern agricultural practices that leaves fewer parts of fields left "vacant" for months also decreases the number of birds that used to inhabit these fields.

Did Quebec just discover crop-rotation?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Europe's ten largest carbon emitters:

Nine lignite power stations and an Irish airline.  :hmm:

Article here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47783992
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

If only the plebs haven't started flying to places and continued to stay put in their hovels. :(

Tamas

Also that chart shows you then, how fucking stupid most greens are. They had ALL the German nuclear plants closed because of a TSUNAMI IN JAPAN. Now they burn coal instead.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2019, 01:02:34 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2019, 04:16:35 PM
  Modern agricultural practices that leaves fewer parts of fields left "vacant" for months also decreases the number of birds that used to inhabit these fields.

Did Quebec just discover crop-rotation?
there's less crop rotation than before.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2019, 02:20:32 AM
Also that chart shows you then, how fucking stupid most greens are. They had ALL the German nuclear plants closed because of a TSUNAMI IN JAPAN. Now they burn coal instead.

I believe that the German Greens have been in favor of quitting both nuclear and coal power. I recall that they positioned themselves that quitting nuclear energy mustn't lead to increased energy production from coal, and that both should be phased out a.s.a.p. for renewables.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2019, 05:35:49 AM

I believe that the German Greens have been in favor of quitting both nuclear and coal power. I recall that they positioned themselves that quitting nuclear energy mustn't lead to increased energy production from coal, and that both should be phased out a.s.a.p. for renewables.

Fine, but surely in the interim period leading up to a giant heavily industrialised, advanced country being run 100% from windmills and solar panels, nuclear is the answer, not bloody coal.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2019, 07:43:24 AM

Fine, but surely in the interim period leading up to a giant heavily industrialised, advanced country being run 100% from windmills and solar panels, nuclear is the answer, not bloody coal.

No that would be a sensible position.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2019, 11:04:08 AM
No that would be a sensible position.

The extremists among the Greens don't want "a sensible position."  They want you to panic, and have said so using just those words.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Surely in the current situation phasing out coal should be a much higher priority than phasing out zero emissions energy sources. What kind of idiotic positioning are they taking? Do they want to help the environment or play a central role in environmental destruction? Because that position makes it hard to tell.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Its sad, but the Greens were coming around to nuclear power until Fukushima. When the anti-science kicked in again
██████
██████
██████