Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 12:24:01 PM
Well it is such a huge surface area and is happening so gradually that strikes me as not a practical solution.
yeah, I was hoping they would be in some kind of scattered "pockets".  You're most likely right.  Oh well.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 12:36:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:33:40 PM
Sure, but I my comment was directed to the fact I would much rather be in Vancouver than anywhere in the US (except perhaps parts of Washington State, Oregon and Alaska).

Ah but the article Syt posted was about the arabs moving north. Anyway, fair enough.
Africa is already moving toward Europe, so one way or another, Algeria will again be part of the French Empire. :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:46:10 PM
I agree.  But the time to take action to prevent that is almost over.

The terrifying truth is that humans make decisions to act based on individual circumstances not where there are global adverse effects, no matter how dire.  I am beginning to think there is no shot at stopping global warming going over 1.5 and very little chance of going over 2.0
Well, instead of saying "We must act now to save the polar bears", try campaigning on keeping global warming below 1.5C to keep the Arabs on their lands.  That will work on all side of the political spectrum ;)

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:46:10 PM

The terrifying truth is that humans make decisions to act based on individual circumstances not where there are global adverse effects, no matter how dire.  I am beginning to think there is no shot at stopping global warming going over 1.5 and very little chance of going over 2.0

Finally, we reached agreement after all these years :hug:

Valmy

Hey you two live in coastal cities. Good luck in the new Pacific Venices.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 07:46:56 PM
Hey you two live in coastal cities. Good luck in the new Pacific Venices.

Talking of which this is Male, is the capital of the Maldives.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

What a beautiful city.

The Maldives are likely a doomed nation, sadly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 10:44:33 PM
What a beautiful city.

Going to Maldives is unbelievably expensive.  The costs aren't third world at all. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 02, 2019, 10:49:27 PM
What a beautiful city.

Going to Maldives is unbelievably expensive.  The costs aren't third world at all. 

Interesting. I guess with all those Arab billionaires and all of India close by their tourism market must be booming.

Zoupa

A couple of friends went to the Maldives for honeymoon. What a waste of money. Just fly to the caribbean for 10% of what you spent idiots.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2019, 10:45:32 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 28, 2019, 10:24:56 PM
At the extremes perhaps, but empirically that doesn't really hold. US Debt/GDP has nearly doubled since the Clinton years and looks likely to rise further but borrowing costs have gone way down.  As long as the real economy looks healthy and the dollar holds its value people will buy debt and not scruple at debt/GDP ratios over 100%.

It didn't hold empirically for Greece either, until it did.

Greece didn't have debt in it's own currency.

Japan has 250% of it's GDP in debt.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on April 02, 2019, 11:07:58 PM
A couple of friends went to the Maldives for honeymoon. What a waste of money. Just fly to the caribbean for 10% of what you spent idiots.

Plus they speak French there.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2019, 11:08:58 PM
Greece didn't have debt in it's own currency.
You're confusing the argument about whether a country can monetize its own debt with the argument about whether investors will continue to purchase government debt as the debt/GDP ratio approaches infinity.  Joan and I were discussing the second point.

QuoteJapan has 250% of it's GDP in debt.
And dozens of countries have defaulted with debt in the 40-60% range.  Some multiple times.

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 11:09:18 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 02, 2019, 11:07:58 PM

Plus they speak French there.

Just came back from Martinique. I can;t believe my parents picked Montreal over Fort de France 30 years ago  <_<

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on April 02, 2019, 10:49:27 PM
What a beautiful city.

Why would it be cheap? It's a luxury destination for foreign tourists, and everything has to be flown in. The islands themselves don't produce barely anything.