Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:04:56 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2019, 12:01:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:00:42 PMFor the world in general it is terrible news, as the permafrost melts it is releasing more greenhouse gases that had been locked into the permafrost (carbon dioxide and methane).  It is a feedback loop scientists had been warning would occur, and now that it is here, it may be too late to stop.

Pretty much the same thing happens in Siberia, btw.

Yeah, I assume it is happening there too.  But the data was taken in Canada, thus the headline.

Add things like this: https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2018/05/31/climate-change-is-making-the-arab-world-more-miserable

I expect even if we turned this around tomorrow, it would get significantly worse before it got better, and I suspect there'll be a lot more people traveling North than already do.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:08:10 PM
Yep, I am happy I live where I do.  :)

If the result of this is that the developed world becomes more livable and the developing world becomes shittier that would just add insult to injury.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Personally, I no longer look forward to summer. The number of days over 30 degrees, and nights over 20 degrees has been ticking up consistently in recent years (with the occasional dip).

Last year, Vienna had 120 "summer days" days over 25°C, of which 40 were over 30°C (defined as "heat days"). On top of that, 41 days with night time temperatures above 20 degrees. We regularly hit the upper 30s on at least a couple of days per summer now, getting close to 40.

More people die in Austria as a result of heat than of traffic accidents.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2019, 11:46:43 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47754189

QuoteCanada warming twice as fast as the rest of the world, report says

I planned on buying a new snowbile, but fuck it, I'm sticking with the ATV.

The Canadian government says it will meet the Paris target of cutting emissions to 30% below 2005 levels by 2030 despite the fact that a number of official reports indicate the country is unlikely to meet its reduction targets without significant effort.
This is bullshit.  The Canadian government has no plan, except to tax its citizen.  Quebec has already tried that and is also on its way to miss the target.

Current climate report indicates the govt has done nothing to reach its goals.  But I kinda predicted that, before the election. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2019, 11:59:57 AM
It might, if their Southern neighbors decide Canada is more attractive to live in than their home countries.
We'll build a wall and have the US pay for it! :mad:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:00:42 PM
For the world in general it is terrible news, as the permafrost melts it is releasing more greenhouse gases that had been locked into the permafrost (carbon dioxide and methane).  It is a feedback loop scientists had been warning would occur, and now that it is here, it may be too late to stop.
I do wonder if these gazes can be extracted safely, before they are naturally released in the atmosphere.

On the plus side, we might unearth some mammoths, clone them and create a themed park...

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2019, 12:20:56 PM
On the plus side, we might unearth some mammoths, clone them and create a themed park...

And then clone Ronald Reagan and have him ride them around?

QuoteI do wonder if these gazes can be extracted safely, before they are naturally released in the atmosphere.

Well it is such a huge surface area and is happening so gradually that strikes me as not a practical solution.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 12:09:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:08:10 PM
Yep, I am happy I live where I do.  :)

If the result of this is that the developed world becomes more livable and the developing world becomes shittier that would just add insult to injury.

Sure, but I my comment was directed to the fact I would much rather be in Vancouver than anywhere in the US (except perhaps parts of Washington State, Oregon and Alaska).

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:33:40 PM
Sure, but I my comment was directed to the fact I would much rather be in Vancouver than anywhere in the US (except perhaps parts of Washington State, Oregon and Alaska).

Ah but the article Syt posted was about the arabs moving north. Anyway, fair enough.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 12:36:14 PM

Ah but the article Syt posted was about the arabs moving north. Anyway, fair enough.

I am quite happy to have immigrants coming into Canada.  As people flee less habitable places our economy will grow.  The trick is going to be to ensure we make the right choices about how we produce our energy and use the land resources we have as that occurs.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2019, 12:38:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 12:36:14 PM

I am quite happy to have immigrants coming into Canada.  As people flee less habitable places our economy will grow.  The trick is going to be to ensure we make the right choices about how we produce our energy and use the land resources we have as that occurs.

As welcome as the refugees might be made in Canada, I would be sad if their countries were ruined. And it would seem especially unjust since they were producing significantly less emissions.

crazy canuck

I agree.  But the time to take action to prevent that is almost over.

The terrifying truth is that humans make decisions to act based on individual circumstances not where there are global adverse effects, no matter how dire.  I am beginning to think there is no shot at stopping global warming going over 1.5 and very little chance of going over 2.0

Berkut

Ive pretty much concluded that humans suck and we are probably fucked.

Seems more and more likely that this may be one of the Great Filters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned