Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on March 27, 2019, 04:49:05 AM
Fantastic speech.  It is actually quite funny and amusing.  Can't believe he really used those visual aids.  I love how he delivered it in a straight face, and how his aide seems to be desperately holding back. 

I am totally for having more babies, as long as those aren't mine.  I think an ever increasing number of babies is a necessary foundation of a growing and prosperous nation.  It also has absolutely nothing to do with global warming.

A bit worrying though.  If his goal is to undermine the Green New Deal, I fear he has achieved the opposite.  Because it highlights the quality of the opposition to the Green New Deal.   We need sane arguments against the Green New Deal.  Not...this.

How many people do you think the planet can sustain? 10 billion? 15 billion? 50 billion?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2019, 04:58:46 AM

How many people do you think the planet can sustain? 10 billion? 15 billion? 50 billion?

Not sure.  But I think human societies and technologies evolve to deal with new challenges.  Right now we may support, say 10 billion people.  If there are actually 15 billion people, then the additional population pressure will incentivise humanity to find new ways to support more people.  In short, life will find a way.

Tamas

I am listening to an audiobook (Keegan's about the British Empire) and it mentioned how there was an early 19th century fear of overpopulation.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2019, 05:30:49 AM
I am listening to an audiobook (Keegan's about the British Empire) and it mentioned how there was an early 19th century fear of overpopulation.

It was what drove Hitler to try and conquer Lebensraum for Germans, because he felt the territory was too small for its population (it was then at about the same levels as modern Germany).

That said, I don't think turning Earth in an ecumenopolis is a splendid idea. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I wonder what Malthus would say about this

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2019, 07:09:22 AM

It's a crisis!  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2019, 05:37:49 AM

It was what drove Hitler to try and conquer Lebensraum for Germans, because he felt the territory was too small for its population (it was then at about the same levels as modern Germany).

That said, I don't think turning Earth in an ecumenopolis is a splendid idea. :P

That's why we need to colonise the solar system.

Monoriu

Wait a second.  I rewatched the speech from the Honourable Senator, "...former President Ronald Reagan, naturally firing a machine gun, while riding on the back of a dinosaur."  Did I hear it correctly that he used the word "naturally?"  That word choice is simply glorious. 

The sanity of US voters is one of the most important foundations of world peace, and after watching this video, my faith in the US electorate and US senators has been eroded.  A bit. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2019, 07:52:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2019, 07:09:22 AM

It's a crisis!  :ph34r:

I knew you would not disappoint  :D

crazy canuck

On the good news front a sea plane company operating out of the port of Vancouver is going to convert its whole fleet to electric engines starting this year.  I use them to fly to Victoria and other towns on Vancouver Island and the Coast of BC on business.  I look forward to the more quiet ride  :)

Zoupa

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2019, 07:54:17 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2019, 05:37:49 AM

That's why we need to colonise the solar system.

I'm all for it but it won't help overpopulation on Earth. Unless we figure out how to build space elevators, 99% of the solar system population will be here.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2019, 01:16:28 PM
On the good news front a sea plane company operating out of the port of Vancouver is going to convert its whole fleet to electric engines starting this year.  I use them to fly to Victoria and other towns on Vancouver Island and the Coast of BC on business.  I look forward to the more quiet ride  :)

It's amazing that batteries are now good enough for that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2019, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2019, 01:16:28 PM

It's amazing that batteries are now good enough for that.

Yes.

Lithium batteries are subject to spontaneous combustion & we're putting them in planes!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2019, 01:44:11 PM
Lithium batteries are subject to spontaneous combustion & we're putting them in planes!

As long as Boeing makes the avionics and autopilot software kit, we're good.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM