Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on March 07, 2019, 09:19:58 AM
For example - the opossum has, over the last ten years, extended its range north to Toronto.

While species do normally migrate somewhat, the movement of several species northwards is generally prevented by die-offs due to winter cold.

This is something very visible - because it is hard to miss a gigantic rat-like animal of a species you have never seen before rooting around in your backyard.  :D
Yep.  We have armadillos in Kentucky now, though I've yet to see one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Plants too.  Flowers that are supposed to blossom in March/April now do so in January. 

viper37

For example - the opossum has, over the last ten years, extended its range north to Toronto.
oppossum, I'll handle.
But if I start seeing tarantulas or vipers in my garden, I will feak out.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 08, 2019, 12:19:16 AM
oppossum, I'll handle.

Name doesn't match post.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2019, 09:19:37 PM

While species do normally migrate somewhat, the movement of several species northwards is generally prevented by die-offs due to winter cold.

This is something very visible - because it is hard to miss a gigantic rat-like animal of a species you have never seen before rooting around in your backyard.  :D

Relax.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on March 08, 2019, 01:33:47 PM

Relax.

Who will speak for the Swedes, when they come for you. :(

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 08, 2019, 09:02:50 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 08, 2019, 12:19:16 AM
oppossum, I'll handle.

Name doesn't match post.  :lol:
:cool:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Mozambique under threat from a very strong tropical cyclone, storm surges of 4+ metres predicted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47576831
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47581585

QuoteClimate strikes spread worldwide as students call for action

Thousands of school pupils worldwide have abandoned classrooms for a day of protest against climate change.

India, South Korea, Australia and the US are among the countries where teenagers are already on strike.

The day of action is expected to embrace about 100 countries. They are inspired by Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg, who protests weekly outside Sweden's parliament.

Scientists say tougher measures are needed to cut global warming.

The Paris climate agreement of 2017 committed nearly 200 countries to keeping global temperatures "well below" 2.0C (3.6F) above pre-industrial times and to striving for a maximum of 1.5C.

The globally co-ordinated children's protests - promoted through posts on Twitter and other social media - have been going on for several months.

On Thursday Greta Thunberg's campaigning earned her a Nobel Peace Prize nomination.

In January at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, the 16-year-old told top executives and politicians that "on climate change, we have to acknowledge that we have failed".

Ministers in some countries have voiced concern about children skipping classes.

Australia's Education Minister Dan Tehan said "students leaving school during school hours to protest is not something that we should encourage".

UK Education Secretary Damian Hinds echoed that concern, and the government said the disruption increased teachers' workloads and wasted lesson time.

But Environment Secretary Michael Gove backed the protesting children, saying in a video: "Dear school climate strikers, we agree."

"Collective action of the kind you're championing can make a difference, and a profound one," he said.

20,000 students protested in Austria, 10,500 in Vienna. Chancellor Kurz declared solidarity with the students, most of which were confused, because "We protest because he doesn't get his ass in gear."

Most ... interesting signs:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

We supposedly have them in North Carolina now, too, but I don't think they're this far east yet.

Valmy

I am sorry to hear that. They are incredibly stupid and annoying.

I guess they are kind of cute though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

I kind of like the idea of armadillos expanding their range.  In their case, my understand (which, as always, may be faulty) is that it's not so much because of climate change but because of the decline of other mammals that compete with them and also the decline of the few things that prey on them.  At any rate, I think I'd rather have the around than possums.  Not that possums aren't a bit cool themselves because of being marsupials.

Monoriu

A couple of hundred students protested outside the government HQs yesterday.  Most of them didn't look like locals though.  I bet they were international school students, children of expats. 

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on March 15, 2019, 05:33:23 PM
A couple of hundred students protested outside the government HQs yesterday.  Most of them didn't look like locals though.  I bet they were international school students, children of expats.

Mono if you had children, would you be 'embarrassed' if they'd taken part?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on March 15, 2019, 05:38:05 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 15, 2019, 05:33:23 PM

Mono if you had children, would you be 'embarrassed' if they'd taken part?

Super embarrassed.