Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2019, 12:36:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2019, 05:06:25 PM
Well, Right-wing representatives who say crazy things should be ignored.  It is vital we discuss left-wing reps as a danger to our Republic.

I've ignored plenty of loony lefty state reps.  It's actually the right-wing ones that bother me more.

I have to admit I kind of tuned out the chatter in the statehouse after the big debate about regulating cheerleader dances back in the day. As usual they seem to be figuring how to appear to lowering taxes while they are, in fact, raising them. Which is a trick Rick Perry was a master at.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2019, 12:45:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2019, 12:36:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2019, 05:06:25 PM
Well, Right-wing representatives who say crazy things should be ignored.  It is vital we discuss left-wing reps as a danger to our Republic.

I've ignored plenty of loony lefty state reps.  It's actually the right-wing ones that bother me more.

I have to admit I kind of tuned out the chatter in the statehouse after the big debate about regulating cheerleader dances back in the day. As usual they seem to be figuring how to appear to lowering taxes while they are, in fact, raising them. Which is a trick Rick Perry was a master at.

Shouldn't this be in the US elections thread.

j/k

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 06, 2019, 07:06:14 PM
A full dossier about the gradual disappearance of snow during winter, in Canada.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/2019/03/neige-accumulation-hiver-quebec-environnement-meteo-gel-degel/index-en.html
Apparently, someone didn't get the memo:
https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/612607782543096/

;)

(disclaimer: that was a joke, anectdotal evidence/isolated incident in no way meant that climate change is a hoax nor is immediate action and not words are needed)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I should also had that telling anyone from Quebec city they receive less acumulated snow than usual is not an advisable option for now.  Short term memory&all that...

Malthus

The movement of certain species northwards is one aspect of climate change visible on a human scale.

For example - the opossum has, over the last ten years, extended its range north to Toronto.

While species do normally migrate somewhat, the movement of several species northwards is generally prevented by die-offs due to winter cold.

This is something very visible - because it is hard to miss a gigantic rat-like animal of a species you have never seen before rooting around in your backyard.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

I had a chianti a few nights ago it seemed a bit hot.  Looked on the label and alchohol levels were at 14.5%.  Historically many Chiantis struggled to hit their minimum alcohol levels of 11.5-12%. The classic chianti was a light-to-medium bodied style wine with the term "nervous" as a common descriptor, now it more often drinks like something from the Southern Rhone or Provence.

Chablis used to have a reputation as a thin wine, as reflected by the AOC regulations that permit bottling of non-cru wines below 10%.  Now it's common to see Chablis marketed at or near 14%.  Some of these wines are good but they aren't Chablis anymore - at least they aren't the Chablis my father introduced me too decades ago.

This is happening in all regions - it's glaring to anyone who has been drinking wine since the 1980s and still has those memories.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 07, 2019, 12:37:33 PM
I had a chianti a few nights ago it seemed a bit hot.  Looked on the label and alchohol levels were at 14.5%.  Historically many Chiantis struggled to hit their minimum alcohol levels of 11.5-12%. The classic chianti was a light-to-medium bodied style wine with the term "nervous" as a common descriptor, now it more often drinks like something from the Southern Rhone or Provence.

Chablis used to have a reputation as a thin wine, as reflected by the AOC regulations that permit bottling of non-cru wines below 10%.  Now it's common to see Chablis marketed at or near 14%.  Some of these wines are good but they aren't Chablis anymore - at least they aren't the Chablis my father introduced me too decades ago.

This is happening in all regions - it's glaring to anyone who has been drinking wine since the 1980s and still has those memories.

It's quite noticeable. We come from around Orleans and as a kid everything local hovered around 12%. It's near impossible to find now.

viper37

that's likely why I hadn't noticed all these changes, I haven't been drinking wine for that long.  :P

crazy canuck

I have been drinking less wine as a result.  It doesn't have the same appeal it once did.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2019, 01:49:29 PM
that's likely why I hadn't noticed all these changes, I haven't been drinking whine for that long.  :P

How long have you been whining?    :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37