Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 04, 2019, 10:39:59 AM
The quotes they give don't make the claims ascribed to him.

"Just to be on record, I enjoy my vegetables, and plants need CO2, so I want to make sure we have plenty of CO2 out there so we have green grass and green vegetables growing," said Metcalfe in a video released on his Facebook page.

"We need CO2, we can't eliminate all CO2. We are going to have an interesting debate for those that want to reduce something that is actually needed by our environment. And claiming that they are improving the environment."

Eddie Teach

Those are true statements. Some CO2 is needed.

There is perhaps an implication that any reduction in CO2 would be bad, but surely they could have found a quote where he flat out says it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 04, 2019, 11:49:48 AM

There is perhaps an implication that any reduction in CO2 would be bad, but surely they could have found a quote where he flat out says it?

Plants&trees managed just fine before we started burning coal and oil.
Now, why is it that, suddenly, if we reduce our artificial co2 emissions, the earth and all life on it would be doomed?

Imagine a situation where humans are completely wiped out in a week.  A 100% deadly plague, Babylon 5 style.

Are plants better or wost off now that we do not generate co2&methane from burning coal, oil and natural gas and that animal populations are kept in check by various predators?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Just in case you non-America types don't know..."state representatives", are super small fish/more likely to be crazy, and can safely be ignored.

Might just as well get outraged at the antics of a city councilman.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 04, 2019, 01:27:38 PM
Just in case you non-America types don't know..."state representatives", are super small fish/more likely to be crazy, and can safely be ignored.

No, they can't. US States wield considerable power, many of which have a tremendous impact on the very same dynamics that empower crazy national politicians. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Since climate is obviously a national emergency, north americans should be ready to abandon their toilet paper.  Right now.

I'm surprised it wasn't part of the Green New Deal.

https://www.ecowatch.com/forests-tissue-toilet-paper-sustainability-2629612402.html

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 04, 2019, 02:44:06 PM

No, they can't. US States wield considerable power, many of which have a tremendous impact on the very same dynamics that empower crazy national politicians. 

You're correct in terms of large groups of state representatives.  Individual state representatives can be ignored.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 04, 2019, 04:08:26 PM
You're correct in terms of large groups of state representatives.  Individual state representatives can be ignored.

They hold proportionally more power at the state level than individual congressmen do at the national level.

Razgovory

Well, Right-wing representatives who say crazy things should be ignored.  It is vital we discuss left-wing reps as a danger to our Republic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2019, 05:06:25 PM

Well, Right-wing representatives who say crazy things should be ignored.  It is vital we discuss left-wing reps as a danger to our Republic.
how about condemning both, especially when they come from your side? :)

I think the Democrats in the House and Senate did a good job with that anti-semitic congresswoman.  Now, if all those who call themselves left leaning would apply such rigor when it comes to international politics and economy...

Razgovory

I have plenty of times.  We had a state Rep who publicly stated she wanted Trump to be assassinated.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 04, 2019, 11:49:48 AM

I am not going to dignify with a reply this ridiculous claim that reducing human CO2 emissions would remove CO2 from the atmosphere and make plant life disappear.

I guess we should be happy to see such "opinions" surface though. This really do seem like grasping for straws by deniers.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2019, 04:38:52 PM

They hold proportionally more power at the state level than individual congressmen do at the national level.

Yep. People often ignore the statehouse but that is where most of the policies that actually impact your life are made.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2019, 05:06:25 PM

I've ignored plenty of loony lefty state reps.  It's actually the right-wing ones that bother me more.