Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2019, 12:41:34 PM
These are not the options. We will get trillions of dollars of economic losses no matter what. It's between having our current civilization going into the future or a significaly reduced numbers of humans on this planet.

False choices?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2019, 12:41:34 PM
These are not the options. We will get trillions of dollars of economic losses no matter what. It's between having our current civilization going into the future or a significaly reduced numbers of humans on this planet.

If we devoted significant resources now to developing a new electrical grid with electricity generated from green sources, there could be an economic boom and we could avoid the most significant losses.

Richard Hakluyt

Current carbon intensity of electricity maps and graphs for the UK :

https://www.carbonintensity.org.uk/

Currently only 23 gCO2/kWh in the NW of England; 182 down your way mongers  :(

So right now is a good time to do one's laundry and recharge the car in NW England.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 16, 2019, 02:18:32 AM
Current carbon intensity of electricity maps and graphs for the UK :

https://www.carbonintensity.org.uk/

Currently only 23 gCO2/kWh in the NW of England; 182 down your way mongers  :(

So right now is a good time to do one's laundry and recharge the car in NW England.

Thanks RH, interesting.

I don't think one can underestimate just who selfish people can be with regard to the environment, as long as the lights switch on they want it make anywhere else, rather than something that might spoil the view on their Sunday afternoon drive.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fromtia

It seems as if the steely eyed independent minded climatologists/Anne Coulter fans have drifted away from languish a bit or perhaps moved on to more exciting conspiracy theories. As the general mood on here is trending "We are super fucked" I recommend that we have a poll asking our gentle readers to choose which dystopian science fiction nightmare our world is set to fall into.

For starters it could be Children of Men, sad Clive Owen anxiously wandering a grimy UK overwhelmed by some sort of refugee crisis.

The most likely candidate for me though is Zardoz - a far future world split between a tiny group of omnipotent "Eternals" who manipulate the larger population of wild eyed "Brutals" to murder each other in large numbers. Also Sean Connery has a battle-jock-strap of some kind, which is what I would choose for the apocalypse.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

Who was the intelligence NCO who fired his boss?  Can't remember his nick. 

He's the only climate change skeptic i can think of.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2019, 01:13:38 PM

Yo.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2019, 01:13:38 PM

Hansmeister
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Wasn't Siege? He had a problem with the moon landing...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2019, 02:01:59 PM
Wasn't Siege? He had a problem with the moon landing...

Siege was a moon conspiracy guy. Hans was the climate change denier. He'd bring up some studies from the 70s where scientists predicted global cooling (according to him) as proof that climate science was a fraud. He was also one of those sects of christians that believed that the end times would come when the Jews converted to Christianity. I think he also got into a weird stalking thing with Malthus.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2019, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: dps on February 16, 2019, 01:18:08 PM
Yo.

That's not it.  Something with an H, maybe German sounding.

You may be right. I can't quite remember his name either.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2019, 07:09:06 PM
If we devoted significant resources now to developing a new electrical grid with electricity generated from green sources, there could be an economic boom and we could avoid the most significant losses.
oh sure.  All wee need is for most of English Canada to accept hydro-electricity from Quebec and ditch their coal&gaz plants.

Easy peasy?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.