Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2019, 10:33:42 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 08, 2019, 10:27:22 AM
Because it isn't the killing that does it, it is the returning land to its native state.

If the Mongols killing a few tens of millions didn't result in the depopulation of large areas that then over several decades returned to a state without human agriculture, it would not have the same effect.

Yes. Though there is some indication that did happen. But he Black Death does not seem to have a mortality rate quite as extreme as what seems to have happened in the New World. And though people talk about how the Mongols destroyed massive amounts of peasants and left lots of land to fallow it may not have been on the same scale. They did destroy lots of ancient irrigation systems that never got repaired as well.

Though I find it surprising pre-modern agriculture can have a noticeable impact on the climate like that.

It's possible that mortality rates of disease in the New World have been exaggerated...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 08, 2019, 03:42:21 PM
It's possible that mortality rates of disease in the New World have been exaggerated...

They are very rough estimates to be sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 08, 2019, 03:42:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2019, 10:33:42 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 08, 2019, 10:27:22 AM
Because it isn't the killing that does it, it is the returning land to its native state.

If the Mongols killing a few tens of millions didn't result in the depopulation of large areas that then over several decades returned to a state without human agriculture, it would not have the same effect.

Yes. Though there is some indication that did happen. But he Black Death does not seem to have a mortality rate quite as extreme as what seems to have happened in the New World. And though people talk about how the Mongols destroyed massive amounts of peasants and left lots of land to fallow it may not have been on the same scale. They did destroy lots of ancient irrigation systems that never got repaired as well.

Though I find it surprising pre-modern agriculture can have a noticeable impact on the climate like that.

It's also quite possible they've been under-estimated.

Pre-columbian population estimates are very hotly debated.  Pretty sure we've even discussed it here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2019, 03:27:26 PM
But if the scientists are right, we are running out of time.

And there is no reason to doubt they are incorrect.

Oh, good. Had me worried for a second.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2019, 04:20:37 PM

It's also quite possible they've been under-estimated.

Pre-columbian population estimates are very hotly debated.  Pretty sure we've even discussed it here.

Probably not.  The numbers that get tossed about are always the very high estimates.  For instance numbers for Cahokia are always given the highest number possible,  40,000.  All other estimates are lower, some much, much lower like a 1/5th of that number.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Maladict

The political judgment is the key.  Hopefully most Americans are agreed that climate change is a pressing problem and that reasonable policies will be developed in response. 

Unfortunately the time for reasonable, measured responses has long passed, it's too late. All remaining reasonable responses will be increasingly extreme.

Razgovory

Does the sort of rage that Climate Change discussion appear in other countries or is this just an American thing.

Zoupa

Pretty universal in western countries I think. IMO.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 08, 2019, 04:34:40 PM
But if the scientists are right, we are running out of time.

And there is no reason to doubt they are incorrect.

Oh, good. Had me worried for a second.

Doh!

Quote from: Maladict on February 08, 2019, 05:36:36 PM

The political judgment is the key.  Hopefully most Americans are agreed that climate change is a pressing problem and that reasonable policies will be developed in response. 

Unfortunately the time for reasonable, measured responses has long passed, it's too late. All remaining reasonable responses will be increasingly extreme.

I am not sure where we are on that continuum but I agree the time we have to implement public policy measures that are less extreme is fast coming to an end.

fromtia

Quote from: Berkut on February 08, 2019, 03:07:11 PM
Yeah,gotta agree. It makes an issue that should be a-political explicitly political.

I'm not really sure what you meant here. I agree that it ought to be sort of an apolitical problem, and I also agree that the AOC "Green New Deal" seems to have everything and a kitchen sink and a hat for everyone in it which may be muddying the waters a bit, a bit "wooly" from a policy perspective as they say in the old country.

I think its great though that shes pushing hard on the issue, and hopefully dragging the Democratic leadership with her to a more aggressive posture. I think having another round of tepid committees produce some really anemic lobbyist friendly stuff a couple of years down the road isn't doing anything at all really. Just more of the same. I think that's where Pelosi is.

But climate change and how we are going to respond is intensely political already, and it was made that way by conservative media and the Republican party. They aren't going to change their minds anytime soon, and apparently the clock has been running against us for quite some time. I think if we continue to do nothing and wait for conservatives to come around or capitalism to save us then it's going to be a miserable future. I think it might be better to just try to press on without them.

What's sort of fascinating to me is how Climate change denial became such a central policy plank for conservatives. It's really odd in some respects. Why isn't clean air and the enviroment a conservative platform? Solar power ? There's no really compelling reason why they shouldn't be.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

fromtia

I'd just like to throw this question out to the Languish-verse; What can be done about climate change? What ought be our best approach and what are the possible approaches? In terms of politics and engineering and so forth.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Valmy

Quote from: fromtia on February 11, 2019, 10:25:38 PM
I'd just like to throw this question out to the Languish-verse; What can be done about climate change? What ought be our best approach and what are the possible approaches? In terms of politics and engineering and so forth.

Energy storage and new emissionless energy technology. Battery technology is the most important in the short term. Natural Gas is the stopgap. Coal and other dirty energy sources need to be stopped entirely. Only electric vehicles should be legal to produce as soon as is feasible.

And after all that we probably need to increase minimum energy efficiency standards on new buildings and appliances.

Carbon capture technology will need to be developed to offset any emissions we just cannot eliminate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2019, 10:29:38 PM

Energy storage and new emissionless energy technology. Battery technology is the most important in the short term. Natural Gas is the stopgap. Coal and other dirty energy sources need to be stopped entirely. Only electric vehicles should be legal to produce as soon as is feasible.

And after all that we probably need to increase minimum energy efficiency standards on new buildings and appliances.

Carbon capture technology will need to be developed to offset any emissions we just cannot eliminate.

All well and good but what's the answer to the ever expanding burn off of kerosene in the stratosphere? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Political elimination of certain topics. IE, making it as palatable to be a climate change-denier as it is to be in favor of, say, slavery.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on February 11, 2019, 10:21:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 08, 2019, 03:07:11 PM
Yeah,gotta agree. It makes an issue that should be a-political explicitly political.
What's sort of fascinating to me is how Climate change denial became such a central policy plank for conservatives. It's really odd in some respects. Why isn't clean air and the enviroment a conservative platform? Solar power ? There's no really compelling reason why they shouldn't be.

They don't want to be held responsible for the consequences of their actions, it's free to do what they want, when and where they want without censure or moderation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"