Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: AnchorClanker on January 19, 2019, 12:58:34 AM
For what it's worth, DC has had the wettest year since the 1880's.  Funny, I thought the fall seemed an awful lot like an Oregon Coast fall...
It rains constantly here now too.  Haven't had a legit drought in like ten years.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Yeah I have commented on it a lot in the Weather WTF thread but Fall has been incredibly wet in Texas the last couple years. I find myself wondering if it is a fluke or if warming in the Gulf of Mexico means we are going to get dumped on every (or even most) Autumn moving foward, which would be a major change.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I mean don't get me wrong, I would actually like to live in a tropical rainforest climate as long as we can keep all of the giant bugs and shit away. :sleep:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on January 29, 2019, 09:34:24 PM
I mean don't get me wrong, I would actually like to live in a tropical rainforest climate as long as we can keep all of the giant bugs and shit away. :sleep:

Well our problem is we flood a bunch. We have very rocky soil that does not absorb much water and lots of rivers and creeks everywhere. But that is probably not a problem in a place not sitting on solid blocks of limestone.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

We sit on limestone too (hence why bourbon is so delicious :) ) but we typically have a big fat layer of clay between our feet and the limestone here.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2019, 09:37:25 PM
But that is probably not a problem in a place not sitting on solid blocks of limestone.
give it some time.  In a few million years, I'm sure the soil will adjust to these new conditions. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on January 29, 2019, 09:40:16 PM
We sit on limestone too (hence why bourbon is so delicious :)

I'll bite. How does the limestone improve the liquor?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Water in limestone areas is usually particularly delicious and tasty. I didn't know that improved whiskey as well though.

Caliga

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 30, 2019, 01:52:37 AM
I'll bite. How does the limestone improve the liquor?
I dunno *how*, it just makes the water taste a certain way that is supposed to have a huge impact on the flavor of the finished product.

Isn't that the same reason ales from Burton in England taste good? :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 30, 2019, 02:26:11 AM
Water in limestone areas is usually particularly delicious and tasty. I didn't know that improved whiskey as well though.
That's the story at least.  I don't think bourbon is legally required to be made with lime water, but all of the distilleries in Kentucky use local well/spring water which is bound to be very limey.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 30, 2019, 02:26:11 AM

Water in limestone areas.  :yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas