Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: derspiess on August 02, 2018, 11:54:38 AM
So capitalism will successfully conquer climate change?  :P

Everyone imagines themselves as Cortez, and not as one of the Mexica.
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

I don't, really.  But what he did was a pretty incredible feat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

What I meant is that, continuing your analogy of capitalism conquering climate change, it may indeed turn out to be true, but when, and at what cost? The people championing waiting for capitalism to conquer climate change are usually those who imagine themselves as the winner of the process (Cortez), and not as those who lost their lives, or became miserable because of it - people who think they will not have to suffer during a process that promises to be full of sufferings and upheavals. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

I have long argued on this forum for humanity to move to underground cities powered by nuclear reactors.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on August 02, 2018, 11:54:38 AM
So capitalism will successfully conquer climate change?  :P

No doubt it could, that's certainly a solid Marxist thesis.

Sure we might lose a bunch of coastal cities, cost liives, reduce the value of trillions of investment. But capitalism can keep rolling through all that, adjusting to the changes in marginal schedules of production and cost as it goes. Whether you find that reassuring is another question.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 02, 2018, 02:36:31 PM
I don't, really.  But what he did was a pretty incredible feat.

Marty once said I had "pretty, incredible feet."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

The main river that runs through this area is warming.  In the past it reached temperatures in that stressed the salmon swimming up river, on average, two days a year.  But over the last eight years it has was that warm for 22 days.  There is a concern that the run this year could be severely reduced because of continued warming this year.

The significance of that? "In the four-year life cycle of a Fraser River sockeye, 2018 is supposed to be one of the big years — where the river runs red with millions of fish."  If this run declines the viability of salmon in this area is questionable. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sockeye-salmon-water-temperature-1.4771607

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2018, 07:50:47 AM
The main river that runs through this area is warming.  In the past it reached temperatures in that stressed the salmon swimming up river, on average, two days a year.  But over the last eight years it has was that warm for 22 days.  There is a concern that the run this year could be severely reduced because of continued warming this year.

The significance of that? "In the four-year life cycle of a Fraser River sockeye, 2018 is supposed to be one of the big years — where the river runs red with millions of fish."  If this run declines the viability of salmon in this area is questionable. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sockeye-salmon-water-temperature-1.4771607

Scottish salmon is much better than Canadian ones  ;)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 15, 2018, 07:50:45 PM
The University of Dayton is installing 4,000 solar panels...to provide 2% their power. Sigh.

4000 10' square panels? Or 4000 1" square panels?

The raw number of panels doesn't really mean much of anything.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned