Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2022, 01:34:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2022, 12:57:23 PMI have more faith that once the Boomers die off things will turn for the better.

It would certainly help in the US re: debt, social safety net, etc., but it's inconsequential when the other side of the planet is bunny humping like it's going out of style. 

Tacking on 85 million humans a year slopping is not helping things, dead Boomers or no.

Population growth has been slowing for a few decades now, and most do project it's going to level off at some point this century (at what number is hotly debated).
Quote from: crazy canuckBB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

Jacob

That population boom in Africa is very vulnerable with climate change. I expect there's a very high risk of famines and increased warfare, which could kill a lot of people :(

Razgovory

The climate outlook isn't so bad if you don't have any kids to worry about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

If you want to save the world, veganism isn't the answer
QuoteVeganism has rocketed in the UK over the past couple of years – from an estimated half a million people in 2016 to more than 3.5 million – 5% of our population – today. Influential documentaries such as Cowspiracy and What the Health have thrown a spotlight on the intensive meat and dairy industry, exposing the impacts on animal and human health and the wider environment.

QuoteOur soils were almost dead. Now we have 19 types of worm, and 23 species of dung beetle in a single cowpat

But calls for us all to switch entirely to plant-based foods ignore one of the most powerful tools we have to mitigate these ills: grazing and browsing animals.

Rather than being seduced by exhortations to eat more products made from industrially grown soya, maize and grains, we should be encouraging sustainable forms of meat and dairy production based on traditional rotational systems, permanent pasture and conservation grazing. We should, at the very least, question the ethics of driving up demand for crops that require high inputs of fertiliser, fungicides, pesticides and herbicides, while demonising sustainable forms of livestock farming that can restore soils and biodiversity, and sequester carbon.

In 2000, my husband and I turned our 1,400-hectare (3,500-acre) farm in West Sussex over to extensive grazing using free-roaming herds of old English longhorn cattle, Tamworth pigs, Exmoor ponies and red and fallow deer as part of a rewilding project. For 17 years we had struggled to make our conventional arable and dairy business profitable, but on heavy Low Weald clay, we could never compete with farms on lighter soils. The decision turned our fortunes around. Now eco-tourism, rental of post-agricultural buildings, and 75 tonnes a year of organic, pasture-fed meat contribute to a profitable business. And since the animals live outside all year round, with plenty to eat, they do not require supplementary feeding and rarely need to see the vet.

The animals live in natural herds and wander wherever they please. They wallow in streams and water-meadows. They rest where they like (they disdain the open barns left for them as shelter) and eat what they like. The cattle and deer graze on wildflowers and grasses but they also browse among shrubs and trees. The pigs rootle for rhizomes and even dive for swan mussels in ponds. The way they graze, puddle and trample stimulates vegetation in different ways, which in turn creates opportunities for other species, including small mammals and birds.

[...]
I don't do meditation.
I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2022, 02:32:45 PMThe climate outlook isn't so bad if you don't have any kids to worry about.
Depends on how you like suffocating heat. You're not old enough to not suffer the effects before your death.
I don't do meditation.
I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on May 12, 2022, 11:28:53 AMNot investing into the future seems a poor strategy.

The stupid thing is is we are heavily investing in wind, solar, and energy storage. Abbott just says and does insane things often in contradiction to his own policies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2022, 03:16:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2022, 02:32:45 PMThe climate outlook isn't so bad if you don't have any kids to worry about.
Depends on how you like suffocating heat. You're not old enough to not suffer the effects before your death.

I think he's old enough Alaska will still be colder than Missouri is now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2022, 07:37:44 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 12, 2022, 11:28:53 AMNot investing into the future seems a poor strategy.

The stupid thing is is we are heavily investing in wind, solar, and energy storage. Abbott just says and does insane things often in contradiction to his own policies.

It's not about policy, it's about vice signaling to his perverse "base"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

But at least he can fuck the Texas school and retirement funds by locking them out of ever more investment opportunities. But school and pension funding sounds communist anyway.