Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2019, 10:48:58 AM
Whatever the solution, it will require an economic mobilization at least on the order of WW2. It will still require sacrifices and social change.

It will take a massive disaster for that kind of mobilisation to happen.

crazy canuck

He was referring to our utilized land.  Our non utilized land is already mostly forest - in areas trees will grow that is.  Cities have been undertaking greening projects but a lot more could be done.

Zoupa

About 90% of all land area in Canada is crown land. About 40% of all land area in Canada is forested. We have a lot of room to plant.

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on November 06, 2019, 05:55:02 PM
About 90% of all land area in Canada is crown land. About 40% of all land area in Canada is forested. We have a lot of room to plant.

I dunno how much we can do to change what's there already, though. Places currently without trees usually lack them because trees won't grow there.

Mind you, with global warming, the tree line will creep north.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 06, 2019, 05:55:02 PM

We have an awful lot of tundra in Canada :contract:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Yup. Didn't think about the tree line and the Canadian arctic. Doh.

Still. I maintain we can plant more. Liberals campaigned on that iirc.

Malthus

One significant issue, in Canada, is that the areas of mixed deciduous forest are actually pretty limited (both by climate and the Canadian Shield) and those are exactly where people like to put both farms and cities - so much of that is gone under development.

One solution is to encourage mixed use of existing lands, to create more forestry in urban areas for example. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Home of the Dust Bowl? I have a feeling it won't work.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 06, 2019, 07:38:19 PM
Home of the Dust Bowl? I have a feeling it won't work.

What better way to prevent a second dust bowl?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2019, 07:22:12 AM
Alberta  :x
Harper did support investment in carbon capture and R&D on the subject for Saskatchewan, I think...
Environmentalists were against it, of course.  But that was expected.  If we wait on them to solve the problem, we'll long be underwater.

I've read Mexico city has artificial trees that absorbs CO2.  Don't know what it does with it though, I can not remember if it converted it in oxygen like a real tree, but 24/24, or if it was subterean capture or something else.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2019, 03:30:18 PM
Harper did support investment in carbon capture and R&D on the subject for Saskatchewan, I think...
Environmentalists were against it, of course.  But that was expected.  If we wait on them to solve the problem, we'll long be underwater.

I've read Mexico city has artificial trees that absorbs CO2.  Don't know what it does with it though, I can not remember if it converted it in oxygen like a real tree, but 24/24, or if it was subterean capture or something else.

Not sure what research on carbon capture has to do with the graph that was shown.

fyi Manning advocated for carbon taxes.  ;)

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2019, 11:30:24 AM
I keep seeing that WW2 effort quote. Now I don't know the numbers so you guys correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the most effective way to counter global warming be a massive reforestation effort?

A couple billion trees per 30 million people should do it.
To be effective, these trees would need to be planted where most people tend to live, in the temperate zones of the countries, exactly where there used to be trees...

Planting trees in middle of a desert is no use, and planting trees in the boreal forest is apparently counter-productive to climate change (read Le Soleil, last week-end, scientific chronicle, sorry can't find it right now).

Make Longeuil and Laval great again!  Let's plant trees instead of buildings! :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2019, 03:32:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2019, 03:30:18 PM

Not sure what research on carbon capture has to do with the graph that was shown.

fyi Manning advocated for carbon taxes.  ;)
Ah, I thought you were reacting to the carbon capture post. Sorry.

Valmy